Name Change in Connecticut
Before you can change your name with the CT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you'll need to first update your information with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Read below for more information.
When you change you name—whether it's because you got married, divorced, or just wanted a change—you'll need to inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your name change. You must do this before you try to change your name on your CT driver's license and car registration.
To obtain an updated Social Security card, you will need to submit the following to the SSA either by mail or in person:
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- U.S. citizenship OR lawful presence in the U.S.
- Name change.
The SSA will send you an updated card showing your new name. Your Social Security number (SSN) will not change.
For more information and a complete list of required documents, visit the SSA website.
Once you've changed your name with the SSA, you're ready to change your name on your Connecticut driver's license or ID card.
NOTE: Wait at least 48 hours after changing your name with the SSA to allow time for processing.
- A completed Change of Name or Name Correction Request (Form E-78).
- Your current CT driver's license or ID card.
- Certified documents proving your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Court order.
- Divorce decree.
- Payment for the $30 fee.
When you change your name, you'll only need to update your vehicle registration. You do not need to update your certificate of title as ownership is not changing.
You'll need to bring the following in person to your local CT DMV office:
- A completed Official Registration of a Motor Vehicle and Application for Certificate of Title (Form H-13).
- A completed Registration Affidavit (Form B-301).
- Your current CT insurance ID card.
- Proof of the name change, such as a certified:
- Marriage license.
- Divorce decree.
- Civil union certificate.
- Your current registration document.
- If you don't have this, you'll need to pay an addition $20 duplicate registration fee.
NOTE: You cannot change your name on your car registration at a AAA office.
To change your name on your Connecticut driver's license or identification card, it will cost you $30.
If you need a duplicate copy of your registration in order to change your name, you will need to pay a $20 fee.
If you visit a AAA office to change your name on your CT driver's license/ID card, you may be charged an additional $3 convenience fee.
Accepted Payment Options
To change your name, CT DMV offices accept payment by:
- Money order.
- Personal or bank check (payable to “DMV").
- MasterCard, VISA, and Discover credit card.
- Most MasterCard and VISA debit cards.
If you change your name on your Connecticut driver's license/ID card at a AAA office, payment can be made by:
- Money order.
- Personal or bank check (payable to “AAA").
If you change your address in Connecticut, you'll need to update your driver's license and car registration records with the DMV. For more information, visit our Change of Address in Connecticut page.