Paperwork When Selling a Car in Connecticut

Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in Connecticut

Selling a car in Connecticut may seem a bit daunting, but the process can be fairly smooth if you plan ahead and familiarize yourself from the start with the Department of Motor Vehicles' (DMV) requirements. You can find all the essential details for pulling off a used-vehicle sale in Connecticut right here.

Selling a Vehicle in Connecticut

In order to sell your car, there are a few essential steps you need to take, including:

  • Evaluating the vehicle's current condition.
  • Researching the current market value of the car.
  • Advertising it to potential buyers.

For more information and tips and tricks to selling your car, use our Guide to Selling Your Car.

Once you've found a buyer, the procedure becomes one of following a few simple steps and completing the state-mandated documentation.

Required Documents for Car Sellers

You'll need to complete and provide some documentation to the buyer once you've sold your vehicle. You'll need to:

  • Fill out and sign the back of the vehicle's certificate of title, which will then be transferred to the new owner.
  • Complete a Connecticut bill of sale. The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles offers a Bill of Sale (Form H-31) on their website for download or you can use our generic bill of sale form. It must include the following:
    • The names and addresses of both you and the buyer.
    • The vehicle's vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, year, and color.
    • The purchase price you and the buyer have agreed upon.
    • The date of the vehicle sale.
    • Your signature.

For more information, see our Bill of Sale in Connecticut page.

Duplicate Connecticut Title

If you're missing the vehicle title or it has been damaged, you can request a duplicate copy ahead of making your sale. To do so, you must complete and sign the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form H-6B) and submit it either in person or by mail to the Connecticut DMV.

You'll also need to pay the replacement title fee of $45.

If there's a lien on the title, the lienholder will handle the application and also include a lien release along with it. If the lien is more than 10 years old and you can't obtain a lien release, you can fill out a Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (Form H-115) instead.

For more information, see our Replacing a Lost Title in Connecticut page.

CT Vehicle History Reports

When you're trying to sell your car in Connecticut, keep in mind that there's a good chance a prospective buyer will be assessing your car using a vehicle history report. These reports provide information on past odometer fraud, accidents, theft, and other pertinent background information.

It may be a good idea to order one yourself so you can show potential buyers. It may help you sell your car faster and help you ensure a smoother transaction.

For more information, visit our Vehicle History Reports page.

Transferring License Plates After a Sale

After you've sold your vehicle, you can return your license plates and cancel your registration through the CT DMV. You can do so at a hub or limited service office.

If you don't have the plates because they've been lost or stolen, you can fill out the Marker Plate Notice (Form E-159) form, which can be downloaded from the Connecticut DMV website or completed at the site electronically.

You can either return your license plates in person at a CT DMV office, or by mail to:

Attn: Registry Record Section
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Forms for Easy Download

Bill of Sale (Form H-31)

Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form H-6B)

Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit (Form H-115)

Marker Plate Notice (Form E-159)

Optional helpful links:

Generic Bill of Sale

Vehicle History Report


Bill of Sale
Use this bill of sale as proof of purchase when you sell a vehicle or vessel in Connecticut.
Lost or Stolen Marker Plates
Notify the DMV if your Connecticut license plates have been lost or stolen.
Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit
Submit to the Connecticut DMV when you need to verify ownership of a vehicle you don't have a title or lien release for.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review