Buying and Selling FAQs in Connecticut

What do I need to do to sell my car?

Follow these quick steps:

  1. Sign over the title to the new owner.
  2. Complete a Bill of Sale.
  3. Remove the license tags from your vehicle and return them to the DMV with the registration.
  4. Call your local tax assessors office to remove the vehicle from the property tax list.

Of course, we provide tons of information about both buying and selling vehicles in our special Buying & Selling section.

Can I get a temporary registration for my vehicle?

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles will issue temporary registrations so drivers can get newly purchased vehicles inspected for safety and emissions. You need to present the following documents at a full-service DMV office:

  • Title

The registration is good for 10 days. You will be charged sales tax when you obtain the temporary registration. The fee for a temporary registration is $21 for a passenger vehicles. For more information about other fees, please refer to this list.

How much does it cost to register my new vehicle in Connecticut and get a set of license plates?

It costs $80 to register a passenger vehicle for a period of 2 years. A pickup truck can be registered as a passenger vehicle, if it weighs less than 8,500 lbs and is not for commercial use.

Connecticut drivers 65 years old and older have the option to register their vehicles for 1 year and pay only $40, plus a $5 Clean Air Act Fee.

Expect to pay some additional fees at the time of registration. The following is a list of charges:

  • Federal Clean Air Act fee: $10. The fee is waived for electric-powered vehicles and trailers.
  • Greenhouse Gas Reduction fee: $5 for new motor vehicles.
  • Late fee: $10 for registrations that are more than 5 calendar days overdue.

What are the rules for importing vehicles from other countries?

Any vehicle you import from another country for personal use may need to be modified to meet U.S. standards for emissions and safety.

You will need to contact the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, at (734) 214-4100, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, at (202) 366-5291. The agencies will inspect and approve the vehicle for use in America.

In the meantime, you can obtain a temporary registration for the vehicle at a full-service Connecticut DMV office, while you await written federal approval to own and operate your imported vehicle in the United States.

What documents do I need to register a foreign vehicle I bought and imported from another country?

You need to show the following documents at any full-service DMV office:

  • Safety inspection report from the Connecticut DMV. Imported vehicles are inspected at the Wethersfield or Hamden stations. Inspections are by appointment only. Phone (860) 263-5491 to schedule a time and date.
  • Letters from the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Transportation stating that the vehicle meets U.S. safety and pollution-control standards.
  • For new vehicles, you need to show a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Photo copies are not allowed.
  • For used vehicles, you need to show foreign equivalents of titles.
  • Proof of ownership document. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through