Other Licenses & Endorsements in Colorado

Special Driver's Licenses in Colorado

Depending on which type of vehicle you want to drive and what you want to do with your vehicle, you may need to obtain a special license in addition to your regular non-commercial driver's license with the Colorado Department of Revenue (DOR) Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Different classes of licenses and certain endorsements may allow you to drive vehicles over a certain weight, to carry a large number of passengers, or drive for a commercial/professional purpose.

On this page you'll find an overview of some of the special license classes you can apply for in Colorado.

If you need information on obtaining your regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Commercial Driver's Licenses in Colorado

A commercial driver's license (CDL) will allow you to operate vehicles that:

  • Weigh 26,001 lbs or more.
  • Are designed to carry at least 16 passengers (including the driver).
  • Can transport hazardous materials.
  • Can tow large trailers or other vehicles.

Some examples of vehicles that require you to hold a CDL include:

  • Passenger/school busses.
  • Combination trucks and trailers.
  • Heavy trucks.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Colorado page.

Colorado School Bus License Requirements

To obtain a school bus endorsement on your CDL in Colorado, you may need to:

  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Have a passenger endorsement.
  • Submit to an annual check on your driver's record.
  • Have pre-service bus training.
  • Annually participate in 6 hours of in-service training.
  • Pass an annual driving performance test.
  • Pass an annual bus-related written test.
  • Own a current first aid certificate.
  • Pass a Department of Transportation sanctioned physical.

You can access more detailed information in Colorado's School Bus Manual found on our appropriately titled Manuals page. For more information, please contact the Colorado DMV.

CO Taxi and Limousine (Chauffeur) License

Regardless of where you apply, you will be required to submit fingerprints. For exact information for your area, contact your local county clerk.

Additionally, you'll likely need to:

  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Pass a taxi/chauffeur license knowledge test.

For taxi information for some of Colorado's larger municipalities, visit the following websites:

Colorado Shuttle Van Driver

No special license is required to operate a shuttle van IF the vehicle being driven is designed for less than 16 passengers including the driver. Each shuttle service does, however, maintain its own requirements, ranging from age, to the ability to lift certain weights, to company training. However, if your shuttle van meets the qualifications of a commercial vehicle, you may need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL).

Depending on the type of driving you're doing, you may need to obtain a taxi/chauffeur license endorsement.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review