Replacing a Lost Title in Colorado

Replacing a Lost Title in Colorado

You're going to need your certificate of title if you plan to register or sell your vehicle in Colorado. If you've misplaced your CO vehicle title, you're going to need to get a hold of a replacement through the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles.

Actually, you can apply for a duplicate title with the Colorado Department of Revenue when your title is illegible, lost, stolen, mutilated, or altered.

Continue reading this page for all the instructions you need to apply for your replacement title in Colorado.

Applying for a Duplicate Title in CO

If your title has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must apply for your replacement title in person at your nearest county office in Colorado.

You'll need to make sure to bring the following materials:

  • Appropriate identification, if your vehicle was purchased on or after 7/1/2006.
  • The VIN number and title number of your vehicle.
  • Payment of $8.20 for the duplicate title fee.

For those living outside of Colorado, you can download a Duplicate Title Request and Receipt (Form DR 2539A) and send it to the following address:

Colorado Department of Revenue
DMV - Titles Section
Denver CO 80217

You'll need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the DMV to send you the duplicate title. The DMV will also require you to provide a photocopy of the acceptable documents listed in the Secure and Verifiable ID (Form DR 2841) when you apply by mail.

Walk-in requests can be processed at the following address:

Colorado Department of Revenue
DMV- Titles Section
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214

Notes on Liens

Only owners, lienholders, or authorized agents may apply for duplicate titles, which means that if you do not own the vehicle, you have to become an "authorized agent" with notarized statements or power of attorneys. Forms are available online or at any county office.

If you have lien on your vehicle, you'll have to provide a notarized lien release on the lienholder's (usually a bank) letterhead. Make sure to include the following information on the signed lien release:

  • Make and year of the vehicle.
  • VIN number.
  • Name of owner.
  • Agent's signature.
  • Date of lien release.

If you are the lienholder and the lien isn't filed in Colorado, you will still need to provide a Power of Attorney from the owner.

In the case of repossession, you'll have to include a Statement of Repossession (Form DR 2393) and a certified copy of the security agreement.

If you have any questions about liens and authorized agents, call your county office for more information.

NOTE: You do not have to submit a noticed lien release on a letterhead if your lienholder is an individual.

Changing Information on Your Title

NOTE: Be sure to update your name with the Social Security Administration prior to dealing with the Department of Revenue.

If you recently changed your name or moved, you'll need to update your driver license or identification card before applying for your a title with your updated name.

You can read our Changing Your Name and Changing Your Address pages for more information.


Statement of Repossession - DR 2393

Submit this form to request the title for a repossessed vehicle in Colorado.

Secure and Verifiable ID - DR 2841

List of acceptable documents to prove your identity when applying for a Colorado vehicle registration AND/OR title.

Duplicate Title Request and Receipt - DR 2539A

Request a duplicate OR corrected Colorado vehicle title.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through