Replacing a Lost License in Colorado

Replacing a Lost License in CO

Losing or having your license stolen can make you anxious, render you unable to drive legally, and put you at risk for identity theft.

The CO Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers options to both help you protect your identity and to replace your lost or stolen CO driver's license or ID. 

Colorado REAL ID Licenses

Colorado now issues federally compliant REAL ID driver's licenses in addition to standard driver's licenses. These allow you to continue to use your license to fly domestically or enter a federal facility.

If you're NOT lawfully present in the U.S., or only temporarily so, please see the Colorado Road and Community Safety Act guide for details on getting a replacement driver's license.

Report a Lost or Stolen CO License, Permit, or ID

The CO DMV does not require that you report a lost or stolen license to the police, but does recommend gathering any evidence of fraud or identity theft that you know has occurred (if any) and filing a report with your local law enforcement agency to protect yourself. If you file a report, be sure to get a copy for your records.

Replacing Your PIN

If you know your driver's license or ID card number has been used by someone else, you may request a new personal identification number (PIN). The PIN refers to your license or ID number.

To get a new PIN, take the following steps:

You may also check out our page on preventing identity theft for additional tips on protecting your identity.

Finally, if you know your identity has been assumed and used during a traffic violation, car accident, or arrest, the CO DMV has information available on how to reconcile the issue. To learn more, visit the CO DMV page on dealing with identity theft during traffic incidents or arrests.

Apply for a Replacement CO Driver's License

You may request a replacement driver's license or instruction permit either in person OR by mail. 

If you're visiting your local driver's license office in person, you MUST:

  • Bring documentation showing identification (e.g, a valid U.S. passport) along with proof of address (e.g., a utility bill).
  • Pay the applicable fee via cash, check, or VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover cards. (See Replacement Fees below.)

At this time, you will also have the option to replace your license with a card that is REAL ID-compliant. To upgrade to the REAL ID, bring documents proving your:

  • Full legal name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Identity.
  • Legal U.S. presence.

Colorado provides a full list of documents you can bring in which will meet the above requirements.

If you're replacing your driver's license or permit from out of the state, you MUST fill out a Request for a Duplicate Instruction Permit/Minor Driver License OR Extension of Driver License (Form DR 2989) AND include the appropriate fees when mailing it in. (See Replacement Fees below.)

Replacement License Fees

If you qualify for a duplicate license or permit you may be required to pay a fee.

The fees are as follows:

  • Duplicate permit or license: $16.
  • Subsequent duplicate permit or license: $16.
  • Instruction permit: $18.52.

Out-of-State & Military License Replacement

If you are temporarily traveling out of state or stationed elsewhere as a member of the military, you may request a duplicate license if you are a permit holder or under 21 years old.

To apply, download and complete the Request for a Duplicate Instruction Permit/Minor Driver License OR Extension of Driver License (Form DR 2989).

Once this form is completed, you have two options. You can either:

1. Mail it to:

Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 173350-3350
P.O. Box 173350
Denver, CO 80217


2. Express Mail*:

Division of Motor Vehicles
Driver Control
1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, CO 80214

* If you wish, you can have a friend or relative drop your items off for you at the second address.

Remember to include a check or money order made payable to the CO Department of Revenue for the applicable fee. (See Replacement Fees above.)

Once your application and fee are received, your duplicate license will be mailed to the address you put on the form, so make sure you enter your current out-of-state address.


DR 2989
Reissue Out-of-State Extension
Request a duplicate instruction permit or minor driver's license OR an extension on your CO driver's license, for reasons allowed by law.
DR 2153
Affidavit of Colorado Drivers License or ID Theft
Take this form and a police report to your local driver's license office if your Colorado driver's license OR identification card was stolen.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review