New to Colorado

SUMMARY: New Colorado Residents

Upon moving to Colorado, there are quite a few tasks you'll need to accomplish. These include applying for a CO driver's license, titling and registering your vehicle with the state, as well as registering to vote. If you're active duty military that has been stationed in Colorado, you may have certain exemptions and/or requirements that pertain to your service status.

For information about topics from registering a vehicle, to getting a driver's license, and even registering to vote, we hope you'll enjoy this useful guide for residents new to Colorado.

Colorado State Agencies

The CO Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), an entity of the Department of Revenue, is the main source for driver- and vehicle-related services, including:

  • Driver licensing services:
    • Driver's licenses, teen graduated licenses and permits, non-driver ID cards, etc.
  • Vehicle services:
    • Registration and titling, registration renewal, license plates, temporary plates and placards, etc.

Boat licensing and registration in the state is handled by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife department, NOT the CO DMV.

If you wish to vote in your new state and county, you'll need to register with the Colorado Secretary of State. If you should happen to get a traffic ticket, the agency you'll be dealing with is the Colorado Judicial Branch.

Keep reading for more information about all of these services.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register Your Vehicle in Colorado

If you're new to Colorado and are bringing your out-of-state vehicle with you, you must register it within 90 days of establishing residency. Don't wait until the last minute; find out how to do it now on our Car Registration in Colorado page.

Special Vehicles

If you own a unique vehicle such as a motorhome or an off-road vehicle, the registration process may be a little different. Find our more about this topic on our CO Special Vehicle Registration page.

Car Insurance

In order to have your car registered with the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you must have adequate car insurance through the state. To make sure you get the best coverage and value possible, please refer to our page on Car Insurance in Colorado.

Inspection Requirements

If you're registering a vehicle that's new to Colorado, it may be subject to an emissions inspection and a vehicle identification number (VIN) verification. Our Car Inspection in Colorado page has more information.

CO Driver's Licenses and ID Cards

If you wish to drive in Colorado, you may use your out-of-state driver's license for the first 30 days after moving. After this time, however, you must have a valid CO driver's license.

Be sure to visit our Applying for a New License page for more information.

If you're a teenager, you must meet all requirements of the CO DMV's graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program. See our page about applying for a new teen license for more information.

Identification Cards

If you won't be driving in Colorado, but need a form of identification, you can obtain an ID card from the CO DMV. For more information, please check out our Identification Cards in Colorado page.

Voter Registration in Colorado

One thing often overlooked during a move is registering to vote. Don't miss out on any important elections; remember to register to vote in Colorado after you've moved.

Military Members Stationed in Colorado

If you're temporarily in Colorado on military duties, have a look at our Driver's in the Military page for information about using your out-of-state driver's license and vehicle.

DMV Offices and Resources

Need to know where the closest DMV office is in Colorado? Find out now using our DMV Office Finder.

You may also want to study the Colorado DMV's handy manuals before hitting the road:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review