Motorcycle Registration in Colorado

Just like a car or truck, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires you to register your motorcycle. On this page, we'll teach you all about motorcycle registration in CO.

Need to renew your motorcycle registration instead? If so, head over to our Colorado registration renewals guide.

New Colorado Residents

Upon establishing Colorado residency, you have 90 days to register your motorcycle. When you're settled in, visit your local DMV office and submit:

How to Register a Motorcycle in Colorado

After buying a motorcycle, you have 60 days to register it in Colorado. The process for registering your motorcycle will differ depending on whether you purchased your new bike from a dealer or from a private seller.

Dealer-Bought Motorcycles

If you buy a motorcycle from a dealer, typically the dealership will handle the registration and titling process and give you a temporary motorcycle registration before leaving the lot.

Once all the paperwork is submitted to the CO Division of Motor Vehicles, you'll receive the official registration and decals in the mail. If you have questions about the process, confirm the details with your dealer and your local DMV office.

If the dealership does not automatically register the motorcycle, you can register it yourself by following the steps for New CO Residents above—though instead of a title, you'll likely have the bike's Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO).

Used Motorcycles

If you purchase a used motorcycle from a private party, you'll need to register it yourself. To do so, bring the following items to your local CO DMV:

CO Motorcycle Registration Fees

The fees to register your motorcycle in Colorado will depend on your bike's:

  • Weight.
  • Age.
  • Taxable value.
  • Purchase date.
  • Type of license plates.

The total amount you owe the CO Division of Motor Vehicles will vary from motorcycle to motorcycle. Information will NOT be provided by phone. For an estimate, visit your county's website or your head to your local CO DMV office for more information.


DR 2698
Verification of Vehicle Identification Number
Form required to verify the VIN on a Colorado vehicle previously titled/registered out-of-state OR to correct a title. Must be completed by a DMV-approved VIN verification provider.
DR 2395
Application for Title and/or Registration
Application to title AND/OR register a vehicle with the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review