Paperwork When Selling a Car in Colorado
Custom Colorado Bill of Sale for $4.99
Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!
- State specific for your transaction
- Quick auto-fill feature
- Just fill out, print, and sign
Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in Colorado
If you're looking to sell your car in Colorado, you're in luck. We've prepared a handy primer on the basic process right here, detailing the Centennial State's requirements for transferring ownership of a vehicle.
Selling a Vehicle in Colorado
So, you've come up with a fair price for your car based on its condition and present market value, advertised it, and found a committed buyer—nice work!
NOTE: If you need a reminder of the best strategies for completing these steps, check out our guide right here.
To actually facilitate the sale, you'll provide the buyer with several documents (we'll let you know which ones below) and remove the license plates from the car to turn them in for recycling. There's not much more to it!
Required Documents in Colorado
Formally hand over ownership of your vehicle to the buyer by ensuring the following documentation is completed:
- Colorado certificate of title. You and any other owner listed on the car title must sign it, and the buyer's name(s) and address should be listed. You'll also include the date of the sale and the purchase price you and the buyer have settled on.
- You can also obtain a motor vehicle bill of sale to use in the transaction.
- Include the vehicle's present mileage either on the certificate of title or the bill of sale to take care of your odometer disclosure requirements.
- A Rebuilt from Salvage Disclosure (Form DR 2710), if the vehicle you're selling has a salvage title.
Duplicate Colorado Title Certificate
If you no longer have the car's title for the vehicle you're selling, or if it's been damaged beyond legitimacy, you can obtain a duplicate title from a county office of the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles. You'll need to provide the following in your application for the replacement:
- A completed Duplicate Title Request and Receipt (Form DR 2539A).
- Proper identification, if your car was bought on July 1, 2006 or later. Among the suitable forms of ID the state accepts are a Colorado driver's license or out-of-state driver's license (current or expired within the past year), or a U.S. passport or U.S. passport card (again, current or expired within the past year).
- You can see the full list of acceptable identification documents at the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
- The vehicle's Colorado title number or the vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Payment for the $8.20 duplicate title fee.
In special cases, you might need additional documentation. For example, if someone else is applying for the duplicate title on your behalf you'll need to provide a power of attorney. If there's an active lien on the title, you'll need a lien release.
For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Title in Colorado page.
Colorado Vehicle History Reports
When you're selling a car in Colorado, you'll want to be aware that prospective buyers may be assessing it before making their final decision using a vehicle history report. This document tells them details of your car's background, including any accidents it's been in and any incidences of theft.
For this reason, it's important to be completely honest about any damages that may have occurred to the vehicle in question.
For more information, visit our Vehicle History Reports page.
Transferring License Plates after a Sale
When you're selling a car in Colorado, you keep the vehicle's license plates. Once the transfer of ownership has occurred, you can surrender the plates at your local Colorado DMV office, where they'll be recycled.
Forms for Easy Download
Duplicate Title Request and Receipt (Form DR 2539A)
Rebuilt from Salvage Disclosure (Form DR 2710
Optional helpful links:
Branded Title Disclosure Statement - DR 2710
Submit this form to the CO Division of Motor Vehicles when selling a vehicle with a salvage, flood, non-repairable, or other branded title.
Duplicate Title Request and Receipt - DR 2539A
Request a duplicate OR corrected Colorado vehicle title.