Dealer Licensing in Colorado
You’ll need to apply for a dealer/wholesaler license with the Colorado Department of Revenue’s (DOR) Auto Industry Division (AID) if you plan to sell OR lease at least 3 vehicles during 1 calendar year at the same address.
A dealer sells vehicles to the general public, while a wholesaler sells cars to dealers.
Sound like you? Keep reading to learn about obtaining a dealer/wholesaler license in The Centennial State.
Pre-Application Dealer Requirements
BEFORE applying for your Colorado dealer/wholesaler license, you’ll need to:
- Make sure you have a:
- Net worth of at least $100,000.
- Credit score of at least 701.
- If you don’t meet this requirement, the AID will not approve your application.
- Complete a pre-licensing training course.
- After passing the course, you’ll receive a certificate of completion, which you’ll need to include with your dealer/wholesaler application.
- Pass an auto industry mastery exam.
- Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing issued by the Colorado Secretary of State (SOS).
- You can use the SOS business database search, or contact the SOS Business and Licensing at (303) 894-2200 for details.
- Apply for a sales tax license.
- Typically, you can apply for your Sales Tax License with a Colorado Sales Tax Withholding Account Application (Form CR 0100AP). For more information, contact the CO DOR.
Once you’ve fulfilled the above requirements, you can start to put together your CO dealer/wholesaler license application!
Apply for a Colorado Car Dealer License
The Colorado dealer license application process is extensive, but we’ve highlighted the basic requirements below. Pay close attention to the instructions listed on each required application and form.
When applying for a dealer OR wholesaler license, you’ll need to provide:
- A completed:
- For each owner, partner, officer, AND member of your proposed business, a:
- Your pre-licensing training certificate.
- A completed:
- If applicable, a completed Bylaws/Operating Agreement.
- Your business plan, which MUST include specific information; consult the application for details.
- Your business’ trade name, if applicable.
- A constituent filed document applicable to your business; this could be:
- Articles of Incorporation.
- Articles of Association.
- Articles of Organization.
- Certificate of Limited Partnership.
- Statement of Registration.
- A copy of your lease, if applicable.
- Pictures of your business’:
- Main entrance.
- Signage, as seen from the main road (from both directions).
- Building, as seen from the main road.
- A Franchise Agreement, if applicable.
- Your Certificate of Good Standing from the Colorado SOS.
- A copy of your $50,000 surety bond.
- Your CO sales tax license.
- The $623 application fee.
- For additional fees you may encounter as a dealer/wholesaler, refer to the CO Department of Revenue’s license fee schedule.
Additional CO Dealer License Resources
The Auto Industry Division provides the following resources to help you along in the dealer/wholesaler application process:
Of course, you can always call the Auto Industry Division at (303) 205-5604 with any questions or requests you may have.
- DR 2114
- DR 2044
- DR 2097
- DR 2640
- DR 2109