Motorcycle License in California

How to get a motorcycle license in California:

  • Visit your local CA DMV office in person.
  • Complete a Driver's License or Identification Card Application.
  • Provide proof of your identity.
  • Pass the California motorcycle written test.
  • Pass a motorcyclist training program or the motorcycle skills test.
  • Pay the $45 motorcycle license/endorsement fee.

For more details, please continue reading!

California offers two classes of motorcycle license: M1 and M2. With an M1 license, you may ride any type of motorcycle with an attached motor, or any motorized scooter. With an M2 classification, you will be permitted to drive a motorized bicycle, a moped, a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter only.

CA Motorcycle Learner's Permit

Everyone, regardless of age, first gets a learner's permit to practice driving your motorcycle before the driving test. If you're under 21 years old, you must hold this permit for 6 months before the driving test.

Here is the info you need on your:

  • Permit eligibility requirements.
  • Required documents and forms.
  • Application process.

Permit Restrictions

With your motorcycle learner's permit, you may now practice driving a motorcycle. However, you are not allowed to:

  • Drive your motorcycle at night.
  • Drive your motorcycle on the freeway.
  • Carry any passengers on your motorcycle.

Getting Your Motorcycle License

The process for applying for a California motorcycle license differs slightly depending on your age.

Below are the steps for applicants who are:

  • Under 21 years old.
  • 21 years old and above.

Transferring an Out-of-State License

Visit any DMV location, or save time by calling ahead for an appointment. You will be required to take a written exam, so studying California's Motorcycle Handbook is strongly encouraged.

When you arrive to apply and take the exam, you must:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review