Learner's Permit Checklist in California

On This Page
The road to your license starts here

Online Driver's Ed for $49.00

Our course helps you learn quickly and easily, using state-specific questions and easy-to-understand answers.

  • Approved by the California DMV
  • Save 80% off traditional drivers ed
  • Take Drivers Ed with our mobile app
  • 99.5% student pass rate on the DMV exam

How to Get Your California Provisional Permit

  • Be at least 15 1/2 years old
  • Complete an online or classroom Driver's Ed course and be enrolled in a driver's training (aka behind-the-wheel training) program OR be enrolled in an integrated Driver's Ed/driver's training (behind-the-wheel training) program. *
  • Complete a practice test (optional). **
  • Make an appointment at your local CA DMV office (optional).

** Did You Prepare for the Written Exam?

Taking your provisional permit written exam can be tricky to say the least. In fact, approximately 70% of people fail on their first try.

Don't be one of those that flunk. Prepare beforehand by taking a practice test.

NOTE: In certain circumstances, you may qualify for a Junior Permit, which allows you to drive, alone, under certain conditions if you can prove a hardship. This permit is available for drivers who are at least 14 years old and less than 18 years old. For more information and to apply for this permit, see Application for Junior Permit (Form DL 120).

Bring to the CA DMV

  • Your parent or guardian to sign the application form (both parents/guardians may be required to sign).
  • Social Security card (or proof of your SSN).
  • Proof of your date of birth (see accepted documents in gray box).
  • Proof of your lawful U.S. presence, if you're a non-U.S. citizen (see accepted documents in gray box).
  • Proof of your California residency (your parents will most likely have to provide these documents).
  • Driver's Ed completion certificate or proof of enrollment in integrated Driver's Ed/driver's training program. *
  • Payment for the $33 fee (cash, check, money order, or ATM/debit cards only).

* If you're 17 1/2 years old or younger.

At the DMV

  • Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44).
  • Have your parent or guardian sign the application form.
  • Pass the traffic laws and road sign test.
  • Pay the $33 fee by cash, check, money order, or debit card.
  • U.S. (or U.S. territory) birth certificate
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
  • Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
  • USCIS American Indian Card
  • U.S. or (U.S. territory) passport
  • U.S. military ID card
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Northern Mariana Card
  • USCIS U.S. citizen ID card
  • Permanent resident card
  • Temporary resident ID card
  • Canadian passport/birth certificate
  • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
  • Valid foreign passport with a printout of I-94
  • " Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport.
  • Permanent resident re-entry permit
  • Refugee travel document
  • Employment Authorization Card
  • For a complete list of accepted documents, visit www.dmv.ca.gov.

DMV.org BBB Business Review