Dealer Forms in California
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
We've provided the basic forms you'll need to start and run your dealership. View the forms with Adobe Reader software.
There are different applications for selling new cars, or exclusively used cars. Salespeople must also apply for their own licenses:
A number of forms are required to renew your dealership license. They include:
- Renewal Application (Form OL 45) (to renew a dealer license).
- Application for Salespersons License (Form OL 16S) (to renew a salesperson license).
Additional Dealership Forms
Here are links to other frequently used forms.
Basic forms that an automobile dealer will use frequently include the salesperson licensing (OL 16S) forms and other dealer forms, including:
- Corporate Officer and/or Director Change (Form OL 15)
- Application for Temporary Branch Location (Form OL 73)
- Report or Replace Lost, Stolen, or Surrendered Occupational License Special Plates (Form OL 247)
Changing the Dealership
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has prepared a page with links to all of the information and forms you will need in order to make changes in your dealership such as a new franchise, additional plates, and other dealership changes. For example:
- Certificate of Proposed Franchise (Form OL 124)
- Application for Occupational License Special Plates, Stickers, Registration Cards, and Duplicate License (Form OL 22)
Check out these helpful links to the forms required by the California DMV of vehicle salespeople. Salespeople are required to submit to a background investigation, file an application for a salesperson's license (Form OL 16S), and renew their license. Also, when a salesperson changes dealerships, he or she must notify the DMV by requesting a corrected license. Some forms:
- Application for Salespersons License (OL 16S)
- Application for a Duplicate or Corrected Vehicle Salesperson License (Form OL 18)
Where to Submit Forms
In most cases, you'll submit business-related forms to a DMV inspector office and not to the DMV. Inspectors are in charge of dealer licensing. Double-check the instructions on any form you fill out to make sure you're sending it to the right place.
Motor Vehicle Forms
When someone buys a car―new or used―from a dealership in California, the dealer typically takes care of all the title and registration paperwork. Here are the forms you might need:
- Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343)
- Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (Form REG 227)
- Bill of Sale (Form REG 135)
- Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (Form REG 166)
- Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (Form REG 138)
- Vehicle Emission System Statement (Smog) (Form REG 139)
Application For Duplicate or Paperless Title - REG 227
Complete this form to request a duplicate CA title OR paperless title, which you can use while transferring ownership of a vehicle.
Application for Title or Registration - REG 343
Use this form to apply for a title and register your vehicle when you buy a vehicle or move to the state.
Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability - REG 138
Notifies the CA DMV that you have transferred or sold your vehicle so you are not held liable for what occurs with or in the vehicle while the buyer is registering the car in their name.
Bill of Sale - REG 135
Bill of sale serves as receipt and proof of purchase for private vehicle transactions in California.
Vehicle Emission System Statement (SMOG) - REG 139
Give this completed form to the buyer if your car passed a smog inspection in CA before you decided to sell it.