DMV Appointments in California
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
With DMV Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Before you visit a branch office, save yourself some time by booking any CA DMV appointments. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers an Online Appointment System for scheduling driver- and vehicle-related services.
Services Covered by the DMV Appointment System
You can make your DMV appointments ahead of time for the following tasks:
- Take the behind-the-wheel driving tests.
- Apply for, replace, or renew:
- CA driver's license.
- I.D. card.
- Instruction (learner's) permit.
- Take another written, knowledge test.
- Register or title a vehicle or vessel (boat).
- Order special license plates.
- Request driver license or vehicle registration records.
Trying to avoid a trip to the DMV? Keep in mind that you may also be able to use the online services provided by the state and various third-party companies.
How to Schedule a DMV Appointment
As previously mentioned, you can use the CA Department of Motor Vehicles' online appointment system to schedule most types of DMV visits.
You must, however, schedule an appointment by phone at (800) 777-0133, if you:
- Want to schedule a commercial driver's license (CDL) road skills test.
- Have specific questions about your appointment.
What to Bring to Your CA DMV Appointment
Depending on what you'd like to do at the DMV, the documents you'll need to bring in will differ. Check out our checklists and guides for specifics on what you should bring when heading out to your various appointments.
CA Driver License and ID Appointments
Make sure you have the right documentation before heading out the door to your appointment for:
- Class D:
- License tests (adult applicants).
- Motorcycle permit and license.
- CDL road skills test.
- California I.D. card:
- CA driver's license:
California Title and Registration Appointments
For your title and registration-related DMV visits, make sure you have everything you need when going in to request: