Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Arizona

License Study Guide - Time Saver

Passing the Arizona written exam has never been easier. It's like having the answers before you take the test.

  • Computer, tablet, or iPhone
  • Just print and go to the MVD
  • State-specific questions targeted at your unique exam
  • 100% money back guarantee


So you're ready to earn your very first Arizona driver's license―congratulations! We're here to help. We know the process can seem rather complicated, which is why we've broken it down into easy-to-follow steps that will have you behind the wheel in no time.

New to Arizona?

The AZ Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) handles licensing in Arizona. Teens who have a driver's license in another state can transfer their license to Arizona by:

  • Surrendering the old license at the Motor Vehicle Divisionoffice.
  • Taking a vision exam.
  • Paying the $25 fee.

You will be issued a Class G graduated license, and will need to follow the driving restrictions listed below for a Class G license for the first 6 months the license is issued to you.

Teens with out-of-state instruction permits must meet the requirements of Arizona's graduated driver licensing (GDL) program, outlined below.

About the Arizona GDL Program

Arizona is one of many states that has implemented a graduated driver licensing (GDL) program, in which teens must complete a number of requirements before obtaining a full driver's license. In Arizona, teens must first earn a learner's permit, then a Class G graduated license, before earning a full Class D operator's license.

Driver's Education in Arizona

Teens in Arizona have the option of completing a state-approved driver's education course to give themselves a strong foundation for safe and responsible driving. This course will include:

  • 30 hours of classroom instruction.
  • 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training.

A Driver's Ed course satisfies the requirement for the 30 hours of supervised driving practice required for a graduated driver's license. For more information, visit our page on Driver's Education in Arizona.

Age Requirements

  • 15 years and 6 months old: eligible for learner's permit.
  • 16 years old: eligible for Class G graduated license.
  • 18 years old: eligible for Class D driver's license.

How to Get an Arizona Learner's Permit

You may apply for a graduated instruction permit once you are 15 years and 6 months old. Before you do, it's a good idea to prepare yourself for the written exam. The MVD offers a basic practice test that you can study.

Important Time Saving Tip

In addition to the basic practice test offered above, a better way to ensure passing the written exam on your first try is to study with the help of a comprehensive online practice test from our certified partner. These industry-leading learning tools use proven methods to make sure you understand the material and retain it.

After you've studied, go to your nearest MVD office and:

  • If you are under 18 years old your parent or legal guardian's signature must be notarized or witnessed by an MVD agent.
  • Provide 2 documents proving your identity. The MVD provides a list of identification requirements.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • Pass the DMV written test.
  • Pay the $7 instruction permit fee.

Behind-the-Wheel Requirements

With your instruction permit, you must log at least 30 hours of supervised driving practice with a licensed driver 21 years old or older in the front seat at all times. 10 hours must be driven at night, and 20 hours during the daytime.

You must hold your learner's permit for a minimum of 6 months before applying for your graduated driver's license.

Once you've passed your written test, you will be issued your graduated instruction permit. You can now begin your behind-the-wheel practice.

How to Get an Arizona Graduated Driver's License

Once you are at least 16 years old and have held your learner's permit for at least 6 months, you're eligible for your Class G provisional license. Make sure you've either completed all 30 hours of supervised driving practice, or you've completed a state-approved Driver's Ed course (see above).

When you're ready, make an appointment at your local MVD office for your driving test. Make sure to bring:

  • Your valid learner's permit.
  • One of the following documents:
    ―Written certification from your parent/guardian proving that you completed 30 hours of supervised driving.
    ―Proof of completion from a state-approved driver's education course.
  • 2 documents proving your identity, with at least 1 document showing your photo.
    • If you do not have a photo ID, you'll need 3 documents of identity.
  • The registration and proof of insurance for the vehicle you will be testing in.
  • A completed Driver License Application (Form 40-5122), which can be started online.
    • Parent or legal guardian's signature must be notarized or witnessed by an MVD agent for applicants under 18 years old.
  • Payment for the $25 driver's license fee.

Once you pass your DMV road test, you will earn your Class G graduated driver's license. You will keep this license until you turn 18 years old.

Provisional License Driving Restrictions

With your graduated driver's license, there also come some driving restrictions:

  • You may not drive with more than 1 passenger under 18 years old, unless:
    ―They are your siblings.
    ―You are driving with your parent/guardian in the front seat.
  • For the first 6 months with your license, you may not drive between midnight and 5 a.m. unless:
    ―You are driving with your parent/guardian in the front seat.
    ―You are driving to or from work, church, school, or because of a family emergency.

After the first 6 months, as long as you have not received any traffic violations or license suspensions, these parameters will be lifted, and you may drive without restriction.

Don't Drive Distracted

As a licensed driver, it is important that you remember the that while you are behind the wheel, you must have all your attention dedicated to the task of driving. Learn all about the dangers of driving distracted by visiting the Distracted Driving section of our website.

Arizona Class D Operator's License

Once you turn 18 years old, you are eligible to apply for a Class D operator's license. You may either continue to use your Class G provisional license, or you may choose to obtain a new duplicate license with the Class D designation.

To do so, go to your local MVD office with:

You can also obtain a duplicate driver's license online, OR by phone, and by mail, IF you're an active military member or a dependent of an active military member stationed outside of the state.

  • Online―Visit the Service Arizona website.
  • By phone―(800) 251-5866
  • By mail―Send the above documents, with a photocopy of your driver's license and a check made payable to the Motor Vehicle Division, to:
    • Motor Vehicle Division
    • P.O. Box 2100
    • MD 510
    • Phoenix, AZ 85001

While you complete the steps towards your first Arizona driver's license, you can follow our new driver checklist.

Auto Insurance in Arizona

You must have auto insurance to drive on Arizona roads, and you must show proof of insurance in order to obtain a driver's license. Adding a teen to a policy can cause prices to skyrocket, so make sure you shop around for the best provider for your family.

Instruction Permit Insurance

Teens with learner's permits may be covered under the insurance of the adult licensed driver who is riding with them. It's wise to contact your insurance company to verify that you are covered when driving the vehicle with an insured adult. If not, it is very important to get an insurance policy that covers the you while driving with a permit.

Graduated License Insurance

Teen drivers are required to show proof of insurance in order to get their driver's license. You may be added to your family's existing policy, a parent's policy, or you might get your own policy.

There may be opportunities for your family to qualify for car insurance discounts. For more information about discounts, rates, and coverage, visit the following pages:

Other Arizona Teen Driver's Licenses

Arizona Teen Motorcycle License

Teens can get a motorcycle learner's permit at 15 years and 6 months old. To do so, go to your local MVD office with:

  • If you are under 18 years old your parent or legal guardian's signature must be notarized or witnessed by an MVD agent.
  • Payment for the $7 permit fee.

You will need to pass the motorcycle DMV written test before you're issued your motorcycle permit. If you haven't yet obtained a regular Class G or D driver's license, you'll also need to pass the written driver's licensing test.

With your permit, you may only drive with a licensed motorcycle driver alongside you. You may not drive between sunset and sunrise, or on freeways or interstate highways. Your permit is valid for 7 months.

Teens can get a motorcycle license when they:

  • Are at least 16 years old.
  • Have held a motorcycle learner's permit for at least 6 months.
  • Complete one of the following requirements:
    ―Pass an approved motorcycle rider education course.
    ―Complete at least 30 hours of motorcycle riding practice, with your parent/guardian's written certification.
  • Pass the driving test.
  • Pay the $25 license fee, or the $7 motorcycle endorsement fee if you already have a Class G or D driver's license.


Driver License/Identification Card Application
Apply for an Arizona driver's license, learner's permit, OR identification card with the MVD.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Join the over


people who have pledged through DMV.ORG to drive without distractions.