Replacing a Lost Registration in Arizona

We’ve all been there. Whether it’s your car keys, driver’s license, or, in this case, your car registration, losing something that is a necessity can be stressful. Luckily, the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) has an easy process in place for replacing your car registration and month/year tabs if yours have been lost or stolen.

Keep reading to see how you can apply for yours.

Duplicate AZ Registration Card

Replacing your lost registration in Arizona can be done:

  • Online using the ServiceArizona system.
  • In person at any MVD location.

We’ll go through the process for each option below.


As long as your vehicle is currently registered, you can also apply for your duplicate registration online through Arizona’s ServiceArizona system.

ServiceArizona is always available for use except during the following scheduled maintenance periods:

  • Every day between 11:50 p.m. and 12:10 a.m.
  • On Sunday between 12 a.m. and 2 a.m.

When you go online to replace your registration, be prepared to provide:

  • Your driver’s license number and current address.
  • The vehicle’s license plate number.
  • The last 2 digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Valid payment for the $4 duplicate registration fee.

Your duplicate registration will be available to print once you have completed the process. Make sure you have a working printer available.

You have up to 14 days from the time you applied to reprint it.

In Person

If you don’t want to go through the online process, you have the option of applying for a duplicate registration card in person at an MVD location.

When replacing lost items in person, you may need to bring a photo ID as well as the items listed above for the online process.

You can call the Motor Vehicle Division at any of the following phone numbers with questions regarding in-person renewals:

  • Phoenix: (602) 255-0072
  • Tucson: (520) 629-9808
  • Anywhere else in Arizona: (800) 251-5866

Duplicate AZ License Plate Tabs

To replace a lost or stolen month/year tab, you can either:


If you don’t feel like going to the MVD, ServiceArizona also has a Tab Replacement service on its website*. As long as your vehicle is currently registered, be ready to enter in:

  • The vehicle plate number.
  • Your customer/driver license number.
  • The last 2 digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • A valid credit, debit, or check card number for the $5 duplicate tab fee.

When you receive your tab in the mail, a new registration will be attached to it. If you need both a replacement tab AND a replacement registration, don’t worry about applying for a duplicate registration; just apply for the tab.

*You will need a working printer to print the receipt of your purchase.

In Person

If you cannot replace your AZ month/year plate tab online, you can go to an MVD office to apply for a duplicate in person.

For more information about receiving your duplicate month/year tab after applying in person, contact your local Arizona MVD location.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review