Replacing a Lost License in Arizona

Replacing a Lost Arizona Driver's License 

If your license has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you should apply for a replacement license as soon as possible. Without one, you can't legally drive and you're left without a main source of photo identification.

The Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) provides several methods for replacing a lost Arizona license, making it easy to get your duplicate in the most convenient way for you. 

AZ REAL ID Driver's Licenses

Arizona issues a Voluntary Travel ID driver's license, which is a federally compliant REAL ID, in addition to non-compliant licenses. REAL ID holders are allowed to use their driver's licenses to board domestic flights and enter federal facilities. You can choose which license you want to replace with; details are below.

Report Your Lost or Stolen License or ID

The AZ MVD strongly recommends reporting your stolen Arizona driver's license, permit, or identification (ID) card to the police and keeping the report for your records; it's not a legal requirement, but it does help you prevent identity theft.

Replace Your AZ License


You MUST replace your license in person if you:

  • Would like to get the Arizona Voluntary Travel ID (REAL ID-compliant card).
  • Need an updated photo.
    • Required if your license was issued over 12 years old ago UNLESS you served as an active duty military member.
  • Changed your name.

Depending on your situation, you can replace your lost or stolen license, permit, or ID card:

  • Online.
  • Over the phone.
  • By mail.
    • For the phone and mail options, you must be an active military member stationed out-of-state OR the dependent of an active military member stationed out-of-state.
  • In person.

We'll walk you through the steps for each of these options below.

Out-of-State Military License Replacement

Arizona military members and their dependents have a couple of options to replace a license from out of state.

If you apply online, you will need to choose the express delivery option for an additional fee (see “Apply Online" above). This option lets you order delivery to an out-of-state address. Otherwise, the duplicate will be sent to the address on file with the MVD.

The out-of-state address you provide for express delivery will NOT appear on your duplicate license or ID, nor will it change the permanent/resident address on file.

Remember, express service is not available for military delivery boxes or P.O. boxes (e.g., APO, FPO) and is only available in the United States.

You can also apply by mail using the steps outlined above.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL in AZ

You can replace a lost or stolen CDL in person. In most cases, you may also apply either online or by phone. See instructions for each method in “Replace Your Lost or Stolen AZ License or ID" above.

Duplicate CDLs have the same $12 fee as other replacement licenses.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review