Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Arizona

Depending on what kind of motorized bicycle, scooter, moped, or other motor-driven cycle you want to operate, you might need a motorcycle license, regular driver’s license, or no license at all. Of course, we can’t forget about title, registration, and insurance requirements, too.

Let’s find out what the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) requires for the type vehicle you want to ride. 

AZ Motorized Bicycles & Tricycles

In Arizona, a motorized electric or gas-powered bicycle or tricycle is one that:

  • Has a “helper motor” with an engine displacement of 48 cc or fewer.
  • Could be self-propelled.
  • Goes less than 20 mph.

You DO NOT need:

  • A driver’s license or specific credential to operate these vehicles.
  • To title or register these vehicles.

Arizona Mopeds

A moped is a bicycle or other human-powered vehicle (i.e. a vehicle with pedals) that has:

  • A “helper motor” with an engine displacement of 50 cc or fewer.
  • Braking power of 1.5 hp or fewer.
  • A maximum speed of 25 MPH on flat surfaces.

When it comes to moped titling and registration, you:

  • MUST insure and register your moped.
    • Emission testing isn’t required.
  • DO NOT need to title your moped.

You can operate a moped with any class of driver’s license.

Motor-Driven Cycles in AZ

A motor-driven cycle is a motorcycle that:

  • Is rated at 5 HP or fewer.
  • Has 3 wheels at most.

The Arizona MVD ALSO considers motor scooters rated at 5 HP or fewer to be motor-driven cycles.

To operate a motor-driven cycle, you MUST:

“J” Restrictions

You will receive a “J” restriction on your motorcycle license or endorsement if you take the skills test using a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle with an engine displacement of fewer than 100 cc.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review