New to Arizona

SUMMARY: New Arizona Residents

If you're new to Arizona, there are a number of transactions you need to take care of with the AZ Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), such as applying for your driver's license and registering your car. You'll also need to remember to register to vote in your new county. If you are active-duty military now stationed in Arizona, check out our military guide for details on exemptions and requirements related to your service.

Arizona State Departments

Vehicle and licensing issues are most commonly associated with the DMV. However, several states do not actually refer to their vehicle and licensing agency as the DMV.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Arizona is one such state, where DMV-related vehicle and licensing administration is handled by the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) of the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Should you get a traffic ticket, it will be handled by both the Department of Public Safety and Arizona's court system. To register to vote, you can visit your MVD office or the Secretary of State (SOS) website.

Keep reading below for details on how to accomplish all of these tasks upon your move to the state.

Out-of-State Vehicles in Arizona

If you are bringing your out-of-state vehicle into Arizona with you, you will need to have it registered in the state as soon as you establish residency.

You can find out how to do this on our Car Registration in Arizona page.

Special Vehicles

If you have an off-road vehicle, a boat trailer, or a recreational vehicle (RV), the registration process varies a little. For more information, visit our guide to Arizona special vehicle registration.

Car Insurance

Before you can register your car in Arizona, the DMV requires that you have adequate car insurance.

You can find a wealth of information on our Car Insurance in Arizona page, including state minimum requirements and additional protection coverages you may wish to purchase.

Emissions Inspections in Arizona

In an effort to combat air pollution, the MVD is partnering with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) to administer an emissions-control program. For more information, please visit our Arizona Smog Check page.

AZ Driver's Licenses and ID Cards

Once you've established residency in Arizona, you will need to transfer your out-of-state driver's license to continue to drive legally in the state. For more information, visit our following pages:

Identification Card

If you don't drive, but you need a form of Arizona identification, you can find all the relevant information on our Identification Cards in Arizona page.

Register to Vote in Arizona

Registering to vote is often overlooked when moving to a new state. You can find out how to do it on our Arizona Voter Registration page.

Military Members Stationed In Arizona

If you're not an Arizona resident but are stationed in the state on active military duty, visit our Drivers in the Military page. It's loaded with useful information.

AZ DMV Offices and Resources

If you're new to the area and don't know where the closest Arizona MVD office is, you can find it by using our DMV Office Finder.

You may also find the following Arizona MVD resources helpful:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review