Name Change in Arizona

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Arizona

When you change your name in Arizona, you will need report it to the Social Security Administration (SSA) immediately, and notify the AZ Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) within 10 days of the change. You'll also need to change your name on your Arizona driver's license and ID card and obtain an updated car registration and corrected title showing your name change.

Change Your Name with the SSA

If you changed your name for any reason, such as marriage or divorce, you'll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA) before you change your name with the AZ MVD.

You will need to submit the following either by mail or in person to your local SSA office:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court documents.
  • Proof of your lawful U.S. presence, such as your:
    • U.S. citizenship certificate.
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Valid visa and I-94 printout.
  • Proof of your identity and age, such as your:
    • U.S. passport.
    • ID card.
    • Driver's license.

A complete list of accepted documents can be found on the SSA website. Be sure to choose “Corrected" under “Type of card" and select your appropriate citizenship status.

The SSA will send you your updated Social Security card in about 14 business days. You name will be updated, but your Social Security number (SSN) will remain the same.

Change Your Name with the AZ MVD

Before you can change your name with the Arizona MVD, you must first change it with the SSA (see “ Change Your Name with the SSA" above). Wait 2 days after doing this before you change your name with the Arizona MVD.

NOTE: You must submit your name change to the Arizona MVD within 10 days of the change.

To change your name on AZ MVD records, visit your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office (or third-party office) in person with one of the following documents proving your name change:

  • Marriage certificate or license.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Court order.
  • Citizenship or naturalization certificate.

Your document must be either an original or a copy certified by the issuing agency only.

Once you've updated your records with the AZ MVD, you can request duplicate driver's license and vehicle documents (see below).

Driver's License & ID Card Name Change

Once you've changed your name on Arizona MVD records (see “ Change Your Name with the AZ MVD" above), you can request a duplicate driver's license/ID card showing your new name.

You can do this either:

  • In person at the DMV office. This can be done at the same time as submitting your name change information.
  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • By phone.

You will need to pay a $12 duplicate driver's license fee.

For complete instructions on applying for a replacement AZ driver's license or ID card, visit our following pages:

Car Registration & Title Name Change

Once you've changed your AZ MVD records (see “ Change Your Name with the AZ MVD" above), you'll need to request an updated title certificate and registration document for your car.

All you need to do is complete a title transfer with the Arizona MVD and you will receive both an updated certificate of title AND registration.

You will need to submit:

  • A completed Title and Registration Application (Form 96-0236).
  • Written permission from the lien holder (if there is a lien on the vehicle).
  • Payment for the $4 title fee and the registration fee (for duplicate registration fees contact the MVD).

Visit our Title Transfers in Arizona page for more information.

Fees to Change Your Name in AZ

When you change your name in Arizona, you'll likely need to pay the following fees for corrected documents:

  • Driver's license: $12.
  • ID card: $12.
    • If you're 65 years old or older, your identification card will be free.
  • Certificate of title: $4.
  • Registration: Online.

Accepted Payment Methods

Depending on how you're completing your transaction, the AZ MVD accepts payments in a variety of ways:

  • Online and by phone: MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and Discover credit cards.
  • Mail: Check payable to Motor Vehicle Division.
  • In person: Contact your local Arizona MVD office directly for payment options.

Change Your Address in Arizona

If you've changed your Arizona address, you'll need to provide this information to the AZ DMV. They will automatically update your driver's license and vehicle records, but if you want updated documents, you'll need to request duplicates yourself.

For more information, visit our Change of Address in Arizona page.


Title and Registration Application
Apply for an original OR duplicate Arizona title AND/OR registration with the Motor Vehicle Division.
Application for a Social Security Card
Request an original, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review