Commercial Driver FAQs in Arizona

Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!

Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

  • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
  • Study When and Where You Want
  • 24/7 Online Access
  • Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed

What is a CDL and when do I need one?

A CDL is a commercial driver's license. Like a normal license for passenger vehicles, commercial licenses are issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). The following vehicles require you to have a CDL in order to operate them:

  • If you will drive a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) whose trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more and whose total weight with the truck is 26,001 lbs or more, you will need a Class A CDL.
  • If you will drive a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more, you will need a Class B CDL. With this license, you can also tow a trailer whose weight does not exceed 10,000 lbs.
  • If you will transport hazardous materials or 16 passengers (including the driver) or more in a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,000 lbs. or less, you will need a Class C CDL.

Can I test for a CDL at any MVD location?

No. You must apply for your CDL and take both the written and on-road skills tests at a designated CDL MVD office.

Can I apply for or renew a CDL online?

No. Instead, you must submit a renewal form at your local designated CDL MVD, submit a current Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical Examination Form.

  • Pay $25 for a Class A or B.
  • $12.50 for Class C.

How do I apply for an endorsement?

If you are applying for an endorsement along with your regular CDL application, you will have to take an extra written test and pay a $10 application fee per endorsement.

If you are applying for a hazardous materials (hazmat) endorsement, the USA PATRIOT Act requires that you undergo a background records check (BRC). To qualify for the BRC, you must first complete the required CDL and hazmat written tests. Then the MVD will provide you with a Hazmat Background Check Authorization Form to take to an authorized agency for fingerprinting.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG