What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?

By: Kat Saks July 5, 2012
Share This Page
Share Pin It Email Print

A special license has little to do with your individual awesomeness; instead, special licenses allow you to drive special vehicles, such as:

  • Taxis
  • Limousines
  • School buses
  • Off-road vehicles

Read on for more details on the unique aspects of each of these special licenses.

Taxi Drivers License

A taxi drivers license allows you to operate a cab for hire in your area.

Typically, a city municipality dictates the rules and regulations associated with these licenses, so licensing requirements can differ quite a bit. Often, major cities maintain stricter rules and regulations on taxi drivers licenses.

If you'd like to obtain a taxi driver's license, talk to a local taxi service for more information on the requirements in your neck of the woods.

Limousine Drivers License

A limousine drivers license is, of course, for driving limousines.

Although their purposes are sort of similar, limousine licenses differ significantly from a taxi drivers license. For example, chauffeur licenses don't require the background checks associated with a taxi drivers license.

School Bus License

Of all the special licenses discussed thus far, school bus licenses typically require the most paperwork and testing.

In all states, in order to drive a school bus, you must obtain a commercial drivers license (CDL), in addition to a school bus endorsement (also known as an "S" endorsement).

Prospective school bus drivers must meet rigid requirements, including, but not limited to:

  • Minimum age requirements (i.e., 18 or 21 and up).
  • Hold a certified medical card.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Pass school bus knowledge and skills tests

Off-Road Vehicles

Typically, off-road vehicles like snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) do not require a special drivers license. However, some states require drivers to maintain a safety certificate from approved state driving courses. Typically, states require such certificates from younger drivers only.

Do you have a special license? What did you find most surprising about the rules and requirements in your area? Let us know in the comments section.

Recent Articles