How to Replace a Lost Defensive Driving Completion Certificate

By: Kathy Teel August 2, 2012
Share This Page
Share Pin It Email Print

If you rack up a few speeding tickets, the court might require you to attend traffic school.

Depending on your state's laws and your personal situation, what you lose in time you could gain in point reduction on your driver's license. Courts and insurance companies often require proof that you've completed these courses in order to get rid your record of traffic violations.

But what if you've taken a mandated defensive driving course and can no longer find your certificate of completion?

Replacing a Lost Defensive Driving Completion Certificate

    • If you attended a brick-and-mortar traffic school, whether run by the state or an approved private agency, call or email the registrar's office and ask for a copy of the completion certificate. These will often cost a nominal fee. The agency will either provide you with a paper copy of the certificate at the office or send you one in the mail.
    • If you attended an online defensive driving course, there is usually a link on the school's website (often located on the Frequently Asked Questions page), which will lead you to a form. Again, the school might charge you a small fee for the service, but the certificate usually arrives in your inbox automatically, and can be either printed, forwarded, or downloaded.

It's worth the few minutes of extra time to replace a lost defensive driving completion certification. It's the proof that you've satisfied the law and have taken responsibility for your traffic tickets.

Have you ever attended traffic school and lost your completion certificate? How did you obtain a replacement?

Recent Articles