Forms and Publications for First-Time Drivers

By: Staff Writer June 25, 2012
Share This Page
Share Pin It Email Print

Learning to drive comes with many challenges, including the application process. Trying to solve which forms to submit can be more difficult than figuring out how to parallel park.

To help you along, the following lists contain all the possible forms and publications you may need – contingent on your situation and state – for obtaining a drivers license.

First-Time Driver Forms and Publications

  • Driver license application. This, in most cases, is the first form you must complete when applying for a learners permit, before taking the knowledge exam. Hold off on completing this form at home if you're younger than 18. Your DMV office may require having a parent or guardian sign the application in front of a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) agent.
  • A parental consent form. Florida, for instance, requires that a parent or guardian sign this in front of a DMV agent, granting their teen consent to apply for a drivers license. This form, if required, only applies to new drivers younger than 18.
  • A Drivers log. This generally applies to drivers younger than 18, required to record their hours of supervised driving outside of a drivers ed class or driver training course.
  • A parent or guardian certification. This is used in place of a driving log in which a parent or guardian must sign, verifying supervised driving hours. This too is mainly only required for first-time drivers younger than 18.
  • A junior license application (also called an intermediate license application). Not all states require this, especially for new drivers older than 18.
  • Proof of completing a state-approved drivers education course. This is generally referred to as a course completion certificate. Depending on the drivers ed class, the completion certificate may be automatically transferred to the DMV. Otherwise, you'll need to provide the DMV with proof. This is only required in states with driver ed mandates. Only a few states mandate drivers ed for all new drivers, regardless of age. In most scenarios, states exempt drivers 18 or older.
  • A high school attendance certificate for new drivers younger than 18. Not all states require this form.
  • Withdraw consent forms. This applies to parents of new drivers younger than 18, who can use this form to request the suspension or cancellation of their teen's driving privileges.
  • You might also need to register your car or conduct a title transfer for your vehicle. These two tasks come with their own set of forms. Check our section on Registration and Titling for state-specific details.

Teen Driver Publications

  • Your state's drivers manual or handbook. This rates as the top study aid when preparing for the learners permit (knowledge) test.
  • A parent guide to teen driving. This goes under different names depending on state. This pamphlet serves as a great educational tool for parents, providing tips on how best to handle supervised driving with their teen.
  • Graduated drivers license (GDL) pamphlets. These break down the various stages (permit, junior license, regular license) of the GDL process, including requirements and driver restrictions.

How to Obtain Forms and Publications

You can obtain most DMV-related forms, pamphlets or drivers license handbooks online. Or, you can pick these up in person from your local DMV office.

Did you have to use any forms or publications that we didn't list? Share in the comments!

Recent Articles