Information on Special Licenses

By: Staff Writer July 5, 2012
Share This Page
Share Pin It Email Print

If you plan on doing something special behind the wheel, you might need a special license.

Special licenses apply to special vehicles, not special situations. So, while you don't need a special license to drive around in your underwear singing at the top of your lungs, you do need a special license to operate certain vehicles.

The following vehicles require a special license to drive:

  • Taxis
  • Limousines
  • School buses
  • Commercial motor carriers

If you plan on operating a taxi, limo, school bus, or truck, you probably need a special license.

Often, though, you need to secure either a standard drivers license or a commercial drivers license before applying for a special license or permit.

For example, most states require you to obtain a standard drivers license before applying for a special license to operate a limo or taxi. If you plan to drive a school bus, though, you need a commercial drivers license (CDL) before you can qualify for a special school bus license (also known as a S endorsement).

Check State Requirements for Special Licenses

Regardless of the reason you might need one, check your state's special license requirements before you try to apply for one.

Be sure to check for special application requirements, such as proof of a medical certification card and proof of a clean driving record.

Taxi, limo, and school bus drivers: Do you have a special license? What did you find most surprising about the application process?

Recent Articles