Many DMV services in the Tri-State area have been altered by Hurricane Sandy. Even if you don't see your local DMV office listed below as closed, it's wise to call ahead before visiting to make sure the hours have not changed.
- All DMV offices and emissions test centers are open. However, DMV officials recommend all residents in the counties of Fairfield and New Haven to call ahead before taking their vehicles in for emissions testing. Call (888) 828-8399 for a list of testing stations.
- Customers who missed their driving tests due to Hurricane Sandy are asked to visit their local DMV office. If DMV officials cannot administer the test (written or road) when you arrive, a new test date will be scheduled.
- The DMV has issued a 30-day extension (until November 30) for all driver's licenses, permits, vehicle registrations and vehicle inspection stickers that expired on October 31, 2012.
- The state has extended the expiration date for temporary vehicle registration certificates (also known as "temp tags") that expired between November 1 and November 9, to November 30.
- All Traffic Violations Bureau hearings scheduled for Rector Street are postponed until further notice.
- All Traffic Violations Bureau hearings scheduled for Richmond through November 23 are postponed.
- All DMV offices that were temporarily closed in New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester counties are now open.