Enrolling in a motorcycle safety course will not diminish the fun of riding motorcycles, nor will it dim your standing with other motorcyclists, making you feel like the buzz crusher of your riding group. It will instead make you a better, safer, and even a richer rider.
Read on, cowboy.
Benefits for Beginner Motorcycle Riders
- Professional instruction from certified instructors, teaching you lifelong safe bike riding skills. These courses cover everything detailed in your state's motorcycle manual, including passing, negotiating curves, and group riding formations.
- Completion of a motorcycle safety course may prompt your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to waive your motorcycle license tests - knowledge and road. This depends on your state. Keep in mind that the course must be approved by your DMV to receive this benefit.
- Discounts of up to 10% on motorcycle insurance premiums. Check with your bike insurance provider.
- Motorcycle manufacturer class reimbursements. Honda, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, and Yamaha are active participants. Ask your dealer if this option is offered.
- Motorcycle manufacturer discounts towards bikes and/or bike accessories.
Benefits for Advanced Bike Riders
Motorcycle safety classes aren't restricted to beginners. There are also classes designed specifically for advanced riders. These too provide rewards:
- Improved riding skills, adding to your safety, confidence, and overall riding enjoyment.
- Motorcycle insurance discounts.
- Motorcycle manufacturer class reimbursements and product discounts (as explained above).
Find out more on safe-rider course offered through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Scooter Safety Courses
Many urban areas now offer safety classes for scooters.
Often called Introduction to Scooters (IS), these half-day courses help riders acquire scooter-riding skills and learn street-riding strategies that are vitally important for maneuvering in city traffic.