Voter Registration in Arkansas

Attention:It is possible that state voter information and identification requirements may change prior to the election. Please check with the state's Secretary of State website prior to the election so you have the most current information.

The Arkansas Secretary of State (SOS) allows residents to register to vote by mail or in person.

Voters living outside of Arkansas who are in the military, overseas, or attending college out of state also have options to register to vote in AR.

Read below to learn more about how to register to vote, registration deadlines, and other important voter registration information.

Voter Eligibility in Arkansas

To register to vote in Arkansas, you must be:

  • A citizen of the United States.
  • A resident of Arkansas.
  • At least 18 years old by the date of the next election.

Even if you meet the requirements above, you CANNOT register to vote if you are:

*You may apply through your state agency to restore your voting rights.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register to Vote in Arkansas

You can register to vote in Arkansas:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

You will be officially registered to vote when you receive acknowledgement of your registration from the county clerk's office.

If you have not received acknowledgement after a few weeks, you can check your status by:

By Mail

To register by mail to vote, you must complete the Arkansas Voter Registration Application*.

You can also get an application:

  • From your local county clerk's office.
  • From the Arkansas Secretary of State.
  • By calling the Secretary of State Elections Division at 482-1127.

*NOTE: The SOS offers a Spanish language version of the form for download.

Identification Requirements

When you register to vote by mail, you MUST include on the application:

  • Your driver's license number.
  • The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.

If you do not have a driver's license or Social Security number, include a photocopy of ONE of following with your form (or show it when you vote):

  • A photo ID that is valid and up-to-date.
  • A current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document.
    • The document must have BOTH your name and address.

NOTE: If you do not provide the required identification information, you may have to cast a Provisional Ballot the first time you vote. If you need an ID in order to vote you can apply to have one issued to you, by your local county clerk, for the purpose of voting.

In Person

You can complete an in-person voter registration at:

  • Your county clerk's office.
  • Any AR ODS location.
    • Complete a paper form.
    • Have your information sent electronically.
  • Any public library or Arkansas State Library.
  • Any public assistance or disability agency.
  • Any military recruitment or National Guard office.
  • Local voter registration drives.

Military, Overseas, & Out-of-State Voter Registration

Arkansas residents who live overseas, are in the military, or temporarily outside of the state can still register to vote in Arkansas.

Military & Overseas Voter Registration

Members of the military, military dependents, and overseas voters can register via several methods:

Military and overseas voters must register to vote at least 30 days before an upcoming election in order to vote in the election.

NOTE: You do NOT have to provide identification with your registration or absentee ballot if you are a first-time military or overseas voter.

Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

You can register to vote AND request an absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (Form 76), available for download.

If you prefer to have a copy of the form mailed to you, call the Federal Voting Assistance Program at (800) 482-1127.

For more information regarding military and overseas registration and voting information, please visit the Arkansas SOS website.

Out-of-State Residents

If you are temporarily outside of Arkansas but are retaining your permanent residence in the state, you can register by mail.

For information on voting absentee, please see the AR SOS webpage for absentee voters.

College Students

If you going to college in Arkansas, or if you are from Arkansas and attending college in another state, you should register to vote based on your permanent address:

  • If your college address is your permanent address, register to vote in the state where you go to school.
  • If you plan to leave or frequently change your college address, register to vote where your parents or guardians live.

Deadline to Register to Vote in AR

The deadline to register in an upcoming election is 30 days before the election date.

To make sure you can vote in the next election:

  • Submit your application in person by the deadline.
  • Postmark your mail-in application by the deadline.

If you register close to the deadline OR if you have not received confirmation of your registration, check your status before Election Day.

NOTE: If you register to vote at a voter registration drive, the organizers of the drive must give your application to the county clerk within 21 days of the date on the application OR at least 30 days before the next election.

Change Your AR Voter Registration

If you move or change your name, be sure to update your county clerk or local board of elections.

Address Changes

If you move to a new county in Arkansas, you must:

  • Complete a new Arkansas Voter Registration Application.
  • Submit it to your county clerk at least 4 days before an election in order to vote in your new county.
  • Cancel your previous registration by contacting the county clerk in your previous county.

NOTE: If you own property in multiple counties, you must register in the county of where your permanent home address is located.

If you move to Arkansas from another state, you must:

  • Complete the Arkansas Voter Registration Application at least 30 days before an election.
    • See “Register to Vote in Arkansas" above for more information.
  • Cancel your previous registration by notifying the clerk, registrar, or board of elections in your previous state.

NOTE: If you have not voted in the last several elections, you may receive an update notice from the county clerk. Be sure to return the notice in order to keep your voter registration up to date.


Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application
If you're a U.S. citizen living out of your voting jurisdiction, use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee ballot.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review