Other Licenses & Endorsements in Arkansas

Special Driver's Licenses in Arkansas

The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) may require a special license class in addition to your regular driver's license if you want to drive:

  • Commercial vehicles.
  • Vehicles of a certain weight class.
  • Large passenger vehicles.
  • While transporting hazardous materials.

Obtaining a special driver's license class or endorsement will allow you to drive a variety of vehicles and begin driving professionally.

On this page, you'll find an overview of some of the special licenses available through the Arkansas DMV.

If you are looking for information about applying for a standard, non-commercial Class D driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

CDL Classes in Arkansas

The main type of special license in Arkansas is a commercial driver's license (CDL).

You can apply for the follow types of CDLs through the Arkansas DFA:

  • Class A, which allows you to drive a combination truck and trailer weighing over 26,001 lbs., with the trailer/towed vehicle weighing 10,000 lbs. or more.
  • Class B, which allows you to drive a single vehicle weighing over 26,001 lbs. and tow a vehicle weighing no more than 10,000 lbs.
  • Class C, which allows you to drive any single vehicle weighing less than 26,001 lbs. You can also drive vehicles that can carry at least 16 passengers and are designed to transport hazardous materials.

To apply for a CDL, you must be at least 18 years old.

For more information, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Arkansas page.

AR Buses and Shuttles

If you intend to drive a vehicle that meets one of the weight or passenger classifications above, you will need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL).

To be licensed to carry passengers, you may need to:

  • Take a passenger endorsement written test.
  • Take a driving skills test in the type of passenger bus/shuttle you want to drive.
  • Pay an endorsement and testing fee.

For more information, please contact the Arkansas DMV.

Arkansas School Bus Driver

If you want to be a school bus driver, you'll likely need to obtain a school bus endorsement AND passenger endorsement for your CDL.

To apply, you'll generally need to:

  • Satisfy the school bus/passenger endorsement written test.
  • Take a driving skills test in the type of school bus you want to drive.
  • Complete a school bus driver training course.
  • Pass a physical.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Pay a school bus endorsement a driver certification fee.

For more information, please contact the Arkansas DMV.

Arkansas Chauffeurs and Taxi Drivers

Drivers, such as chauffeurs and taxi drivers, who transport passengers as part of their job, generally need to have at least a passenger endorsement on their driver's license.

Sport Vehicles in Arkansas

You don't need a special license to drive an off-highway vehicle (OHV) or all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in the state, however, you may need to apply for a motorcycle endorsement. You'll need to be at least 16 years old to drive a motorcycle with an engine displacement of over 250 cc's.

For more information about applying for a motorcycle license, please visit our Motorcycle License in Arkansas page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review