Replacing a Lost Registration in Arkansas

Replacing a Lost Vehicle Registration in Arkansas

Do you need to replace a lost or damaged registration card, license plate, or registration sticker? You can typically complete the replacement request by simply going to an Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) office to have a replacement issued. You should be prepared to have the vehicle identification number (VIN), license plate number, and some information with you that will help identify yourself.

If any of your vehicle registration documents, license plates, or registration stickers need to be replaced, you should try to replace them as soon as possible. If you are caught driving without a license plate affixed to your vehicle or without the proper documents in your car, you can face fines, penalties, and vehicle impoundment, which carries heavy costs itself.

If you suspect that your registration papers, license plates, or registration stickers were stolen, you should contact your local law enforcement agency to file a police report to document the theft.

Apply For Duplicate AR Vehicle Registration

If you need to request a replacement registration card, license plate, or registration sticker, you'll need to visit your local Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) office in person.

To complete your replacement request, you may need to:

  • Complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form 10-381). The Arkansas DFA clerk can provide you with more details about the form.
  • Provide information about yourself, such as your name, address, and AR driver's license number.
  • Provide information about your vehicle, such as its license plate number, make, model, year, color, and VIN.
  • Indicate exactly which type of vehicle registration document you need to replace.
  • Describe the circumstances of your request and why you need to request a replacement.
  • Pay any applicable replacement/duplicate registration item fees.

You should also be prepared to provide proof of your identity and a previous vehicle registration document.

If you have any questions, please contact the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).

Common Reasons for Registration Replacements

Whenever you a requesting a duplicate vehicle registration document, whether it's a license plate, sticker, or registration card, you should be prepared to explain the reason for your request. Below are some of the common reasons that require a replacement credential and the additional steps that may accompany them.

  • Lost or stolen registration, plates, or stickers.
    • If your items have been lost or stolen, you should contact your local authorities and file a police report. Someone could try to steal your identity or affix your license plates to a stolen vehicle.
  • Damaged or mutilated documents.
    • If your registration items are damaged or mutilated beyond the point of recognition and legibility, you should apply for a replacement. If an Arkansas law enforcement officer cannot verify the information on your documents, it is just the same as if they weren't there. If your items are damaged, you may have to surrender them to the Arkansas DFA when you request your replacements.
  • Incorrect information.
    • If your registration documents have been printed with the wrong information, you should request a replacement to correct it. The Arkansas DFA may waive any replacement fees for incorrect items if they were at fault.
  • Never received your documents.
    • If you have recently renewed your registration, but never received your updated documents, they may be lost in the mail and you may need to apply for duplicates.

If you have any questions about the circumstances that may require you to apply for a replacement/duplicate registration, please contact the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).


Vehicle Registration Application - 10-381

Apply for a new, transferred, OR duplicate Arkansas vehicle registration AND/OR title with the OMV. Form can also be used to record a lien on your car title.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through