Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Arkansas

To ride scooters, mopeds, motorized bicycles in Arkansas, you must hold a specific license or certificate from the Arkansas Office of Driver Services (ODS) and meet certain qualifications imposed by the state. We’ll go over everything you need to know to legally ride these types of vehicles.

Motor-Driven Cycles in Arkansas

In Arkansas, you must hold a Class M or MD license to operate motor-driven cycles, which include:

  • Scooters.
  • Mopeds.
  • Small motorcycles with engine displacements of fewer than 250 cc.

Class MD License

The Class MD License is a restricted license for drivers ages of 14 up to 16 years old.

Applying for a Class MD License is similar to applying for a Class M license (a regular motorcycle license), and we outline the process – including the required documents, fees, and testing –over at Motorcycle Licenses in Arkansas. Your Class MD license is valid for 1 year from the date you pass the knowledge exam and can’t be extended over 1 year.

ADDITIONALLY, you’ll need to register your motor-driven cycle following the same steps for registering a regular motorcycle in Arkansas.

AR Motorized Bicycles

You need a Motorized Bicycle (MB) Certificate to operate any motorized bike or small motorcycle with an engine displacement of fewer than 50 cc UNLESS you already have a:

  • Class A, B, C, or D license.
  • Class M or Class MD license.
  • Intermediate or learner’s permit.

MB Certificates are restricted certificates for drivers between the ages of 14 and 16 years old. You’ll apply for your certificate the same way as you would a Class M License, and once you earn your certificate, it will remain valid until your 16th birthday.

ALSO, you must register your motorized bike—follow the same instructions for registering a standard motorcycle in AR to do so.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review