Other Vehicle Registrations in Arkansas

Summary: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Arkansas

Other vehicle types, such as ATVs, custom-built cars, and boats, have different processes for registration than your standard car or truck. However, some vehicle types—such as recreational vehicles and mobile homes—mimic the same requirements as registering your regular car. Expect to pay fees based on the type of vehicle you're registering, and be prepared to fill out extra paperwork in addition to a standard registration application form.

In Arkansas, it's common to own off-road and other special types of vehicles other than your standard car. These vehicles include all-terrain vehicles, boats, motorcycles, and other non-standard types.

You must register your vehicle within 30 days of acquiring it to avoid penalties.

Register All-Terrain Vehicles in Arkansas

If you have an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), the AR DFA requires you to register it before you can legally operate it. To register your ATV, visit an Arkansas DFA office in person. You may need to:

You will also need to pay a $5 registration fee.

For more information about registering your ATV, contact the Arkansas DFA.

NOTE: It is against the law to operate your ATV on public roads and highways in Arkansas. The only exemptions to this rule are if you need to cross the road for farming or hunting purposes, or you're outside city limits and need to get from one trail (or private property) to another.

To learn more about the laws relating to ATVs, read the Arkansas statute.

Motorcycles and Motorized Bicycles

If you have a motorcycle, you will need to register it with the Arkansas DFA. Depending on the size of your engine, your registration fee will be:
  • $7 (250 cc or more).
  • $3 (less than 250 cc).

You will also need to pay a $2.50 validation decal fee and any applicable sales tax.

For more information, see our Motorcycle Registration in Arkansas page.

Motorized bicycles with an engine size of 50 cc or less, must also be registered in the state of Arkansas. Unless your motorized bicycle has automatic transmission, you will be charged the following fees:

  • $3 registration fee.
  • $2.50
  • Sales tax.

Mobile Homes and RVs in Arkansas

All mobile homes recreational vehicles must be registered in Arkansas, in the same way you would register a standard car or truck. Follow the steps on our Register Car in Arkansas page.

Register Custom-Built Cars in Arkansas

If you have a custom-built car in Arkansas, you'll need to have it registered the same way as you would a regular car. Visit our Arkansas Car Registration page for information on how to register your custom-built vehicle.

In addition to the standard paperwork you need to register a car (see " Registering Your Vehicle in AR" above), you'll also need:

Bring as much information about the history of the major parts as you can, such as Bill of Sale forms.

Boat Registration in Arkansas

If you have a boat in Arkansas, it must be registered before you can legally operate it on any of the state's public waters, unless your vessel isn't propelled by an engine or sail.

To register your boat, visit your local AR Department of Finance and Administration office and:

  • Show proof you own the boat (e.g. bill of sale). This document must include:
    • Hull identification number.
    • Description of the boat.
    • Year.
    • Make.
    • Horsepower.
    • Sale price.
    • Date of sale.
    • Signatures of both you and the seller.
  • Show proof that the boat has been assessed or is schedule to be assessed.
  • Show that you've paid all applicable property taxes.
  • Show proof of your liability insurance (if your boat has an engine of more than 50 horsepower).
    • Your coverage must meet the minimum requirement of $50,000 per occurrence.
  • Pay the registration fee (varies depending on the size of your boat).
    • Less than 16 ft: $ 7.50.
    • 16 ft to 26 ft: $15.
    • 26 ft to 40 ft: $ 51.
    • 40 ft and longer: $105.

Once you've registered your boat, the AR DFA will issue you an Arkansas Certificate of Number, or registration card, and validation decals, valid for 3 years.

You must have your registration card onboard with you at all times while the boat is in operation, and the decals must be clearly displayed on the front half of each side of your boat.


Vehicle Registration Application
Apply for a new, transferred, OR duplicate Arkansas vehicle registration AND/OR title with the OMV. Form can also be used to record a lien on your car title.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review