Motorcycle Registration in Arkansas
Start Your Registration PaperworkOur step-by-step process is easy to follow, making your registration application a breeze! Get yourself prepared BEFORE you visit the OMV.
If you own a motorcycle in Arkansas, you must register it at your local Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV).
Whether you're new to the state or have just purchased a new motorcycle, use this guide to learn each of the required steps.
Looking for renewal information? Jump over to our registration renewal section for help!
New to Arkansas
If you've just moved to the Natural State, congratulations! Upon establishing Arkansas residency, you'll have 30 days to register your motorcycle.
The process is the same as transferring the registration of a standard vehicle—so check out our Arkansas car registration page for details directed toward new Arkansas residents.
Registering Your Motorcycle in AR
Whether you've just purchased a motorcycle from a dealership or a used motorcycle from a private seller, you will be required to register it in your name within 30 days to avoid penalties.
PRIOR to registration, you will need to have your motorcycle assessed by your county assessor for its property tax value, OR it must be listed for assessment during the following year.
When you're ready, take a trip to your local OMV registration office with the following items:
- Your proof of ownership—EITHER the:
- Motorcycle title.
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO).
- Motorcycle title.
- A completed:
- A signed copy of the lien contract IF the motorcycle is being leased.
- Proof of current assessment and paid property tax from your county assessor.
- You can also provide proof that your property is scheduled for assessment.
- Proof of Arkansas motorcycle insurance.
- Payment for the base registration fees of $3 or $7 depending on your motorcycle's size, plus all other applicable taxes and fees.
Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes
The total fees due for motorcycle registration can vary in AR according to your county of residence. Basic registration fees are below:
- Motorcycles 250 cc or more: $7.
- Motorcycles less than 250 cc: $3.
Keep in mind that additional county taxes and surcharges are not included in the fees above. A use and sales tax of 6.5% will be due for any motorcycle purchased with a value of $4,000 or more.
Local registration taxes will vary according to your county of residence. However, local taxes will not exceed $25 for each 1% of taxes that are due.
Late Registration Fees
If you fail to registration or renew your motorcycle within the required time period, you could accrue additional penalty fees, to include the following:
- Late registration:
- $3 for every 10 days.
- Won't exceed the cost of your motorcycle's registration.
- Late sales tax:
- 10% of the total due.