Green Vehicle Laws and Regulations in Arkansas

Arkansas has a handful of green-related laws specific to drivers and their vehicles. Keep reading for specifics. Also note that as Arkansas begins shifting its focus toward environmental issues, its regulations might also change. Stay up to date through your local Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) branch and the Alternative Fuels Data Center.

Of course, all drivers must abide by AR traffic laws, regardless of whether they drive electric cars (EV), hybrids, or alternative fuel vehicles (AFV). Or if it's money-saving perks you're looking for, check out our page on green driver incentives.

Arkansas Vehicle Registration and Emissions Testing

Although the OMV requires residents to maintain valid vehicle registration, it does not include emissions testing as part of the registration process. To learn more on the effects of car pollution and how to keep it bay, refer to our page on smog and emissions checks and the Air Division of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality.

Arkansas Auto Insurance Requirements

Arkansas requires residents to obtain auto insurance in order to drive on AR's public roads. That means, regardless of whether you drive a hybrid, electric car, or some other alternative fuel vehicle, you must insure it in line with AR'sauto insurance requirements. Keep in mind that some car insurance companies offer green drivers a car insurance discount. Check out our page on green driver incentives for more on ways to save some green for going green.

AR Special Fuel User’s Permit

If you own a motor vehicle that runs on liquefied natural gas (LNG) pr liquefied petroleum gas (propane), you must apply for and obtain a special fuel user’s permit (per vehicle) through the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration. The annual flat fee tied to the permit (and calculated by gross vehicle weight ratings) is how Arkansas taxes LNG and propane used to operate motor vehicles. You can obtain the Arkansas Annual LPG Flat Fee Application online. Call the Motor Fuel Office if you have any questions.

Reporting an Alternative Fuel Conversion

If you convert a motor vehicle to run on an alternative fuel, you have 10 days from the date of conversion to report it to the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA). This applies to individuals and companies. Failure to report the conversion—either as the owner or operator of the newly converted alternative fuel vehicle (AFV)—could result in a penalty.

Download the Alternative Fuels Vehicle Conversion Notification Form online. If you have questions, contact the Motor Fuel Office at (501) 682-4800.

For specifics, refer to Arkansas Code 26-62-214.

Obtaining Natural Gas

The State prohibits individuals from operating motor vehicles with natural gas obtained for residential (and other) purposes that render the fuel tax-free. If you plan on using natural gas to fuel your vehicle, you must obtain a special fuel user’s permit (detailed in the section above).

The exception to the rule depends on whether the supplier of your alternative fuels intentionally installs a separate meter from which you obtain your natural gas (to be used in your vehicle). Consult the Arkansas DFA for clarification.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review