Name Change in Arkansas

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Summary: How to Change Your Name in Arkansas

To make a name change on your driver's license/ID card, vehicle registration, and certificate of title, you'll need to provide proof of your identity and your name change. You'll also need to pay fees for updated documents, and change your name with the Social Security Administration.

If you've changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or any other reason, you will need to inform the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) and obtain updated documents.

You will need to apply for a replacement AR driver's license/ID card and certificate of title.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you change your name with the Arkansas DFA, it may be a good idea to first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The DFA may verify your identity with the SSA before they process your name change, so this first step may prevent delays.

To make a name change with the SSA, you'll need the following documents:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if required) OR lawful presence in the U.S. (including a print out of your I-94).
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • Driver's license.
    • ID card.
    • Birth certificate.
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Divorce decree.
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court documents.

Once the SSA has processed your request, you will receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.

AR Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your Arkansas driver's license or ID card, you will need to bring the following in person to your local AR DFA office:

  • Your current AR driver's license/ID card.
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order.
    • Divorce decree.
  • Proof of your identity (1 document from the primary list OR 2 documents from the secondary list).
  • Payment for the fee:
    • Driver's license: $10.
    • Identification card: $5.

Vehicle Title & Registration Name Change

To change your name on your vehicle certificate of title and registration, you will likely need to visit your Arkansas DFA office with:

  • Your current certificate of title and/or registration document.
  • Proof of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
  • Proof of your identity (see the AR DFA website).
  • Payment for applicable fees.

The AR Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) may require you to complete a title transfer in order to have your name changed on your title certificate.

You may also need to apply for duplicate copies of your registration and/or title. For more information, visit our following pages:

For more information about changing your name on your title certificate or registration, contact the Arkansas DFA directly.

Fees to Change Your Name in Arkansas

When you change your name, you may need to pay the following fees for replacement documents from the Arkansas DFA:

  • Driver's license: $10.
  • ID card: $5.
  • Certificate of title: $10.

For additional fee information and accepted payment types, contact the AR DFA.

Change Your Arkansas Address

If you've recently changed your address in Arkansas, you can update your information with the DFA either in person, by email, or by mail. For more information, visit our Change of Address in Arkansas page.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through


people in the United States need a liver transplant


people are waiting for a heart transplant.

Looking for Name Change in Another State?