Car Registration in Arkansas

Vehicle Registration in Arkansas

The state of Arkansas handles vehicle registrations through the Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV). If you are new to the state or a resident who has just purchased a vehicle, you'll need to get it registered within 30 days.

If you already have an AR registration and you need to renew it, please visit our guide on Registration Renewal in Arkansas.

New to Arkansas?

As a new resident, you must register your vehicle with the Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicle within 30 days of establishing residency (see below for steps).

But before you can register, you must:

  • Purchase auto insurance that meets AR minimum coverage requirements.
  • Transfer your out-of-state title to an Arkansas title.

You will transfer your title at the same time as you register your vehicle, so check out our Arkansas Title Transfer guide for more information on documentation and steps required, as well as fees and exceptions for titling your vehicle.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

New Resident Registration

To register your car as a new resident, you must go in person to any AR OMV revenue office and be ready to present:

  • Your current vehicle registration certificate from your previous state.
  • Your certificate of title, or proof that your car is financed and that your lienholder has your title.
  • Proof of AR vehicle insurance.
  • A completed Vehicle Registration Application (Form 10-381) (this acts as both vehicle registration application and title application).
  • A bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement.
  • Proof from your county assessor that your car has been assessed or is listed to be assessed within the current year.
  • Proof that you don't owe any personal property taxes, such as:
    • A receipt from your county's tax office.
    • A stamp that reads First Assessment on your assessment papers.
  • Proof of a VIN inspection, if required (see “AR Vehicle Inspections" below).
  • Payment for your car registration fees (see “Arkansas Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

Note: Feel free to contact your local AR OMV office or the OMV help desk at (501) 682-4692 if you have additional questions about your obligations as a new resident.

Registering Your Vehicle in AR

You must title and register your car with the Arkansas OMV within 30 days of making a purchase or having the vehicle's title signed over to you (whether inherited, gifted, or transferred between family members).

Check out our AR Title Transfer guide for necessary documentation to complete an Arkansas title transfer, including steps for surrendering an out-of-state title for vehicles purchased outside the state.

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

To complete your car registration, you must go in person to any AR OMV revenue office and submit the following:

  • Proof of ownership, such as:
    • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) signed over to you (if purchased new from a dealership).
    • Vehicle title, signed by both you and the seller of the vehicle (if purchased or transferred from a private party).
  • A signed copy of your lien agreement, if you are registering a leased or financed vehicle.
  • A completed Vehicle Registration Application (Form 10-381) which acts as both registration and titling application.
  • Odometer disclosure statement on the back of the title for vehicles less than 20 years old. Or a State of Arkansas Vehicle Bill of Sale Odometer Disclosure Statement Form (Form 10-313)
  • Proof of VIN verification, if you're registering a vehicle purchased from out of state with a Salvage or similar designation (please see “Arkansas Vehicle Inspections" below).
  • Proof from your county assessor that your vehicle has been assessed or is listed for assessment within the current year.
  • Proof that you have paid all personal property taxes. Examples are:
    • A county tax collector receipt.
    • A stamp on your assessment papers that certifies your tax payment.
  • Proof of AR auto insurance.
  • Payment for your registration fees (see “Arkansas Vehicle Registration Fees" below).
  • Your current AR car registration certificate, if you plan to transfer your license plates from your old vehicle to your new vehicle (see “Tag Transfers in Arkansas" below).

Feel free to contact your local AR OMV revenue office if you have questions about completing your car registration.

Arkansas Vehicle Registration Fees

The Arkansas OMV registration fees are calculated based on such things as:

  • The gross weight of your vehicle.
  • The type of vehicle you own (e.g. motorcycle, truck, car, etc.).
  • Title fees (please visit our “AR Title Transfers" page for fees specific to titling).
  • License plate type.
  • City and county taxes.

While your specific totals may differ based on the above variables, the base vehicle registration fees and taxes in Arkansas are:

Title & Registration Fees

  • Passenger cars and motor homes:
    • 3,000 lbs. and under: $17.
    • 3,001 to 4,500 lbs.: $25.
    • 4,501 lbs. and over: $30.
  • Trucks and vans: $21.
  • Motorcycles:
    • Less than 250 cc: $3.
    • 250 cc or more: $7.


  • 6.5% of the taxable price of any vehicle with a purchase price of $4,000 or more.
    • For Texarkana residents, sales tax is 7%.
  • Local taxes, if required based on where you live.
    • Local taxes will not be more than $25 for each 1% of the tax due.

There is also a standard validation decal fee that will apply to all vehicles.

Review the AR OMV's Fee Schedule to determine how much you will be expected to pay, and feel free to contact the OMV at (501) 682-4692 for help calculating your fees.

Late Registration Fees

Remember, you have 30 days to register your vehicle. After that time period, you will be subject to the following late registration fees:

  • Late registration: $3 for every 10 days you do not complete your registration.
  • Late payment of sales tax: 10% of the amount you owe for your sales tax.

Non-Use Registration Fee Waiver

If you have registered your vehicle within the required 30 days, but you have NOT operated it in the meantime, you do not have to pay any late registration fees.

Complete and submit an Affidavit of Non-Use (Form 10-300) to claim your late fee exemption. This form may be found at any AR OMV revenue office.

Tag Transfer Fee

The cost to transfer your registration (i.e. transfer tags & license plate) to another vehicle you own is $1.

You must also pay the difference in fees if you are transferring your registration to a vehicle in a higher weight class (e.g. a car registration to a truck or van).

Unfortunately, there are no refunds for transferring from a higher weight class vehicle to a lower weight class (e.g. half-ton truck to car).

Arkansas Vehicle Registration for Military Members

Arkansas Resident

If you are an AR resident member of the U.S. military, then you must register your vehicle the same as if you were in the state and follow the same procedures as described above. If you are stationed outside of the state and wish to register a vehicle in Arkansas, please call the OMV at (501) 682-4692.

Non-Resident Stationed in AR

If you're a non-resident military member stationed in Arkansas, you have two options:

  • You may maintain your registration in your home state, using the processes specific to your state of residents.
    • Visit our general car registration page to select your state and learn your requirements.
  • You may register your vehicle with Arkansas, in which case you are exempt from any property and/or assessment taxes levied by the state.
    • Visit your local OMV revenue office with your leave and earnings statement to verify your home record, and follow the same process listed above for vehicle registrations. You will not have to pay assessment or personal taxes.

Out-of-State Vehicle Registration in AR

You cannot register your vehicle in Arkansas from out of state. The OMV allows you to title your vehicle from out of state by mail, but you must first have a valid registration certificate to do so. If you are out of state and wish to register your vehicle by mail, please call the OMV at (501) 682-4692.

AR Vehicle Inspections

If your vehicle's title designates it as a salvage or prior salvage vehicle (or similar designations), you will be required to complete a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection before you register your vehicle with the state of Arkansas.

To do so, go to your local law enforcement office and request a VIN inspection. Any certified city or county law enforcement officer or State Police officer/representative can perform this for you.


Vehicle Bill of Sale Odometer Disclosure Statement
Use this combined bill of sale and odometer disclosure form when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Arkansas.
Vehicle Registration Application
Apply for a new, transferred, OR duplicate Arkansas vehicle registration AND/OR title with the OMV. Form can also be used to record a lien on your car title.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review