Paperwork When Selling a Car in Arkansas

Create Your Arkansas Bill of Sale

Custom Arkansas Bill of Sale for $4.99

Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!

  • State specific for your transaction
  • Quick auto-fill feature
  • Just fill out, print, and sign

Paperwork Required to Sell Your Car in Arkansas

Buying a used car from an independent seller has become increasingly popular in light of the nation's unpredictable economy. If you're looking to sell your car in Arkansas, we can show you how to take full advantage of this interesting opportunity.

Selling a Vehicle in Arkansas

A little bit of research can go a long way in the process of selling your car in Arkansas. First and foremost, make sure you have a basic understanding of Arkansas law and access to official resources aimed at protecting and assisting motorists in the state.

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is one helpful platform to turn to for questions regarding consumer protection and liability. For all the fun stuff that follows the research process, read through our user-friendly Guide to Selling Your Car and discover some other steps you need to take to sell your car.

As it is in most U.S. states, selling a car in Arkansas requires transferring ownership of the vehicle from you to the buyer. Both you and the buyer must fill out the information requested on the back of the car title and complete supplementary forms (see below).

Required Documents in Arkansas

Red tape is a necessary evil of selling a car. Although tedious, most of these required documents end up benefiting you more than anyone in the long run.

  • Certificate of title: On the back of the original car title, you'll find what's called a "title assignment." This is essentially an ownership transfer form that requires information from both you and the buyer, including:
    • Name.
    • Address.
    • Odometer statement.
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • Signature.
  • Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle (Form MV 100-03): This authorization document is a convenient way to consolidate all of the paperwork you'll need to complete the sale. This authorization form asks for the VIN, vehicle description, sales price, odometer reading, and the names, addresses, and signatures of all parties involved in the sale.
  • Bill of sale: You may wish to create a separate Arkansas bill of sale for your records, since this will enable you to take advantage of tax credits come April. Both you and the buyer must sign the Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle (Form MV 100-03) provided by the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration, in order for you to receive the tax credit.

Duplicate Arkansas Title Certificate

If you don't have the vehicle's certificate of title, you will need to apply for a duplicate before you can complete the sale. If there is a lien on the car, the lien holder must complete an Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title (Form 10-315).

Visit an Arkansas DFA office in person and provide the:

  • Vehicle registration certificate.
  • License plate number.
  • Title number.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN).

There is a $10 fee for a replacement title, which can be paid in the form of a check made payable to the Department of Finance and Administration.

Processing can take a minimum of 3 weeks. However, rush titles can be issued on a vehicle without a prior lien, when the application is made in person at the following address:

Charles D. Ragland Taxpayer Services Center
Room 1040
1900 West 7th
Little Rock, AR 72201

For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Title in Arkansas page.

Duplicate Registration in Arkansas

If you've lost your AR vehicle registration, you can apply for a duplicate registration in person at your local AR DFA office. You'll need to bring the vehicle identification number (VIN), license plate number, and your information, including your address and signature. There may be a fee to replace your registration. It is important, if you think your vehicle documents were stolen, to report this to your local law enforcement office.

For more information, read our Replacing a Lost Registration in Arkansas page.

Vehicle History Report

Arkansas has strict laws and policies against fraud, which means you should make every effort to present your vehicle information in the most honest way possible when selling a car. The best way to do that is to get a full vehicle history report before you begin advertising.

A vehicle history report includes vital information such as the following:

  • Information regarding the certificate of title.
  • Odometer reading.
  • Theft history (if applicable).
  • Structural damage.
  • Salvage history.
  • Services and repairs.

Visit our Vehicle History Reports page for more information and to order your report.

Forms for Easy Download

Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title (Form 10-315)

Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle (Form MV 100-03)


MV 100-03
Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle
Submit this all-in-one form to the AR Office of Motor Vehicle when transferring ownership of a vehicle. Form includes odometer disclosure, bill of sale, and authorization to transfer the car title.
Official Release of Lien Permission to Issue a Replacement Title
Request that the AR Office of Motor Vehicles release a lien on a vehicle title OR issue a replacement title to the lienholder if the lien was not satisfied on time.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review