Buying and Selling FAQs in Arkansas

FAQs: Buying and Selling a Vehicle in Arkansas

We have many sections devoted to the important matter of buying and selling vehicles. After all, this transaction will likely involve a large sum of money. In this section, we'll take a look at some common questions regarding this issue.

If you have a special question regarding your specific circumstances, please contact the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).

What is a bill of sale?

A bill of sale is a written document that helps to provide proof of transfer of ownership of personal property, such as a car. It will contain important information, including the purchase price of the vehicle, the sale date, a description of the vehicle, the odometer reading at the time of purchase, and the names of the buyer and seller.

For more information, visit our Bill of Sale in Arkansas page.

Where can I get a blank bill of sale?

The Arkansas DFA has a Bill of Sale form you can download for your use. We also have a generic form on our Bill of Sale Form page.

When buying a vehicle from a private seller, who fills in what on the title?

The seller will write the buyer's name in the assignment section. The seller and the buyer will then print and sign their names in the corresponding boxes on the title. You'll likely need to pay a title transfer fee to the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.

How long are temporary tags good for?

The temporary tags in Arkansas are valid for 30 days.

How much does it cost to register and get validation stickers for a new vehicle?

That depends on a few factors, but the state provides a fee chart so that you can see how much you'll owe. Generally, your fees will be based upon the type of vehicle and its weight.

How much does it cost to transfer my old tags to my new vehicle in Arkansas?

You may do this for $1. For more information, please contact the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).

How can I order specialized or personalized plates for my new vehicle?

You'll find what you need in our license plate section. Generally, you'll be able to select from a number of different license plate backgrounds and create a personalized license plate number for an additional fee.

What are the minimum vehicle insurance requirements in Arkansas?

You must have coverage for at least:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury.
  • $50,000 per accident.
  • $25,000 for property damage.

If you need to shop around for a new car insurance policy, you can visit our Car Insurance Center.

Where can I find more information about registering and titling cars?

An excellent place to start is by looking at our registration and titling sections.

The costs of registering and titling a vehicle are important to think about when buying a vehicle, whether it's new or used. Additionally, you should think about any Arkansas state and local taxes you may owe, the cost of a car insurance policy and the cost of a vehicle inspection/emissions test.

If you are thinking about buying a used car, you should consider ordering a vehicle history report/VIN check to save you from the headache of surprise maintenance costs and unsuspected repairs. A vehicle history report will generally provide you with information about a vehicle's previous owners, accidents, prior damages, and repairs. Please visit our Vehicle History Reports page for more information.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review