Other Licenses & Endorsements in Alabama

Special Licenses in Alabama

Along with standard, non-commercial Class D driver's licenses, the Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS) also issues special licenses.

You may need one of the Alabama DPS special licenses depending on the type of vehicle you want to drive.

The application process for each type of license is similar, but you may be required to provide additional documents, pass different DMV tests, and pay separate fees.

For information about applying for a standard driver's license or a motorcycle license, please visit one of the following pages:

Alabama School Bus Endorsements and CDLs

Those who want to drive school buses, church buses, shuttles, or charter buses, must get a commercial driver's license Class A, B, or C with a school bus endorsement. When you apply for a CDL, you'll be required to take a written test and a driving skills test.

Study for the written test using the Alabama CDL Manual. You'll find a section specifically for drivers who transport passengers. Our Commercial Driver FAQ page has more information about the test.

You'll need to provide:

  • Your current non-commercial driver's license.
  • Proof of your Social Security number.
  • TSA background check results, if you are applying for a hazardous materials endorsement.
  • Payment for your written and skills tests.
  • Proof of your insurance.
  • Payment for the CDL class you are applying for:
    • Class A: $66.25.
    • Class B: $56.25.
    • Class C: $36.25.
    • Learner's CDL: $36.25.

For more information, please visit our Applying for a CDL in Alabama page.

Alabama Taxi Driver and Chauffeur License

Taxi drivers and chauffeurs in Alabama are required only to have a regular current, valid driver's license (called a Class D) and a business license, to operate.

For more information, please contact the Alabama DMV or visit our Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Alabama.

Alabama Boat License

Alabama requires a Class V water vessel license for anyone at least 12 years old operating a motor boat. The state provides a study manual and tests online, or you can pick up a copy of the handbook at your local driver's license office to study, then return and take your test in person.

To apply for a boat license, you'll need to visit your local AL DPS office and:

  • Pass a written test, unless you were 40 years old or older on April 28, 1994.
  • Provide proof of your name and birth date, with documents including:
    • A U.S. birth certificate.
    • A U.S. passport.
    • Your driver's license.
  • Provide proof of your Social Security number, with documents such as your:
    • Social Security Card.
    • W2 tax form.
  • A secondary form of identification, with documents such as:
    • Your military ID.
    • A school ID.
    • Court documents.
  • Pay the $5 test fee.
  • Pay the Class V fee.

If you already have a driver's license, Class "V" will be added to it.

If you are younger than 14 years old, you can only obtain a water vessel learner's license, which allows you to operate a boat when accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old and holds a vessel license.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review