Replacing a Lost Title in Alabama

Replacing a Lost Title in Alabama

You should immediately begin the application process for a replacement title if your title is lost, stolen, damaged, or illegible.

Regardless of the circumstances that rendered your old title unusable, the procedure to obtain a new title remains basically the same.

NOTE: When your title is damaged or illegible, be sure to include your existing title in your replacement application.

What Vehicles Require an Alabama Title?

You must have a current and legible Alabama certificate of title if your vehicle is:

  • Less than 35 model years old.
  • Operated within Alabama.
  • Registered in Alabama.

A travel trailer, folding/collapsible camping trailer, or manufactured home that is less than 20 model years old must also have an Alabama certificate of title.

NOTE: Junked vehicles do not require Alabama certificate of title, nor do ATVs, snowmobiles, and other off-road vehicles.

Replacing a Lost Vehicle Title

You can submit your request online or in person at your local Alabama Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division designated agents including:

  • County license plate issuing officials.
  • All licensed Alabama motor vehicle dealers.
  • Some banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions within Alabama.

To get a replacement title for your vehicle online, head over to the MVD's Public Title Portal. Have payment ready for the $20 title fee.

After they process your paperwork and payment, Department of Revenue officials can mail your replacement title to the address of your choice.

NOTE: You'll need to state the reason you are requesting a replacement and provide complete vehicle details. If there is a lien on the vehicle, you'll also need to include all the lienholder information on the form. Alabama law requires that replacement titles with multiple lienholders be mailed to the first lienholder. You cannot add, remove, or otherwise alter existing liens on a replacement title.

Restrictions & Limitations on Replacing a Lost Title

In order to qualify for a replacement title, your motor vehicle must be currently titled in the state of Alabama. The term motor vehicle covers automobiles, motorcycles, mobile trailers, trucks, truck tractors, semitrailers, trailers, and other transportation devices that are self-propelled or drawn by a motorized conveyance without the use of stationary rails or tracks.

Change Your Name/Address on Your Title

If you need to update your address on your title, you'll can either:

For name changes, you'll need to bring your marriage license, divorce decree, or the court order in person to your local MVD office.

For more information, please read our pages about Names Changes and Address Changes.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review