DMV Practice Tests in Alabama
|Driver Permit Test Packages||Basic||Complete||Plus||Sample Test|
|Package Price||$9.99||$14.99||$24.99||Free with
|Number of Questions||50||100||100||25|
|100% Online Practice Test||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|State Driver Preparation Course||x||x||✔||x|
|Start Test||Start Test||Start Test||Register|
Several types of practice tests are available to help you prepare for your Alabama written knowledge exam, including those to help you obtain your regular driver's license, CDL, and motorcycle license.
Read below for more information about DMV practice tests in Alabama.
Types of Alabama Practice Tests
Practice tests and other study materials are available in several formats to help you learn in whichever way works best for you.
You will find:
- Online practice tests, including specialized tests for different topics, like the road signs test and motorcycle endorsement test.
- Video test preparation guides.
- Study guides to download and print.
You may want to try a few different Alabama DMV practice tests or study guides so that you find the format and content that works best for you.
Online Practice Tests
Practice tests are available for several different topics. You can choose a set of 50 questions or 100 questions, which will be used to create as many practice tests as you want to take.
Like the Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS) written test, you'll never know exactly which questions will appear on your practice test, so you'll have to prepare by studying the Alabama Driver Handbook.
In addition to taking multiple practice tests, you can also keep track of your scores and review questions to make sure you're ready for the AL DPS exam.
The following practice tests are available:
- Learner's permit practice test: Ideal for teen drivers taking the written test to get their learner's permit.
- Driver's license practice test: Great for anyone getting an AL driver's license, including those who've just moved to the state.
- Examen de practica para la licencia: Practice test in Spanish.
- NOTE: The Alabama DPS may not offer their test in Spanish.
- Road signs practice test: Designed for extra practice identifying and understanding road signs.
- Motorcycle license practice test: Perfect if you're getting a motorcycle license.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) practice test: Great for the basic CDL test.
- CDL endorsement practice tests: Different tests focused on each CDL endorsement. Learn more on our CDL Endorsements page.
Test Prep & Study Guides
An online driver prep course is also available as additional study material. The course is about an hour long and presents state driving regulations in a multimedia format.
The online prep course offers concise and focused information for:
- New residents unfamiliar with Alabama's traffic laws.
- Teens who could use a quick refresher since completing Driver's Ed.
The prep course can even be combined with online practice tests, giving you several ways to learn and study.
Finally, printable study guides are available for you to review and brush up on your AL driver's license knowledge. Study guides present key information in an easy-to-read, concise format.
Sample Questions on the AL Written Test
Many people have anxiety about written driver's license exams simply because they don't know what to expect.
Familiarity with the types of questions you might find on the test, as well as the material it covers, can help you feel more prepared.
The Alabama knowledge test covers the information found in Driver's Handbook.
What is the fine for a 1st offense of using a wireless phone to text, message, or send e-mail while driving?
Which documents must you present to a law enforcement officer at a traffic stop?
- Driver's license and vehicle registration.
- Vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
- Driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.
At what distance are you required to dim your headlights as you approach an oncoming vehicle?
- 200 feet.
- 350 feet.
- 500 feet.
Benefits of Taking DMV Practice Tests
Whether you're getting your first driver's license, new to Alabama, or adding an endorsement to your AL driver's license, you'll want to be prepared before taking your AL DPS written exam.
Alabama DPS tests can be challenging and often focus on specific details. Understanding the AL traffic rules and safe driving techniques is crucial to passing your DPS written test.
If you fail the test, not only will need to spend more time at the DMV, you'll also need to pay the $5 testing fee again.
Whether you take a few practice tests, complete an online driver's prep course, or use a printable study guide, preparing for your written driving test will help you feel ready to tackle the AL knowledge test.