Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Alabama
Alabama sorts motorized vehicles like scooters, mopeds, and motorized bicycles into a single category: motor-driven cycles.
Even though these vehicles essentially are a step down from traditional motorcycles in terms of weight and power—and even though you can operate them at a younger age—you still must apply for a “B” restricted motorcycle license with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA).
Keep reading for more information on the classification of these vehicles and applying for the right credentials.
Motor-Driven Cycle License in AL
If you want to operate a motor-driven cycle, you’ll need to apply for a motorcycle license with a “B” restriction. The “B” restriction means you aren’t old enough or properly licensed to operate a motorcycle, but you can operate motor-driven cycles like mopeds, scooters, and motorized bikes.
You must be at least 14 years old to apply for a “B” restricted motorcycle license. (If you’re 16 years old or older, you can apply for a full motorcycle license and legally operate motorcycles as well as motor-driven cycles.)
First, study Alabama’s Motorcycle Operator Manual (REV 2014) to prepare for the required written exam.
Next, schedule an appointment to take the exam and apply for your license. On the day of your appointment, make sure you bring:
- Your U.S. birth certificate OR non-driver identification card OR vessel license.
- Bring an additional form of identification from the state’s secondary list if your first one doesn’t include your photograph.
- Your Social Security card.
- If you’re 15 years old, the applicable school enrollment documents, which can include:
- Enrollment/Exclusion Form (Form DL1/93)
- Certified letter from your school stating you’re enrolled.
- Graduation diploma.
- GED certificate.
- Payment for the applicable licensing fees (checks not accepted):
- Written exam: $5.
- Motorcycle license (with “B” restriction): $36.25.
- Motorcycle license: $36.25.
Once you present all required documents and fees and pass your exam, you’ll get your “B” restricted motorcycle license (i.e. motor-driven cycle license) which is valid for 4 years.