Other Vehicle Registrations in Alabama
SUMMARY: How to Register Other Vehicle Types in Alabama
In Alabama, any vehicle used on public roads must be registered with the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). If your vehicle will be used only on your own property or off-road, you do not have to register, title, or tag it. Scooters/mopeds and RVs/motorhomes are registered the same as a regular vehicle, while custom-built cars and motorcycles have their own separate requirements. Fees will vary based on your vehicle type.
Vehicle types other than standard cars or trucks in Alabama may have different registration processes, depending on what type of vehicle you own. Or you may not be required to register the vehicle at all. If you're required to title and register your vehicle, you must do so within 20 days from the date you acquired it. If you've recently moved to Alabama, you have 30 days to register your out-of-state vehicle with the MVD.
RVs and Motorhomes
If you own a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Alabama, it will need to be registered through the same process as you would a standard car. The cost to register your RV will vary depending on its weight.
To register your motorhome, follow the steps on our Register Car in Alabama page.
If you have a custom-built car in Alabama, you will need to follow a slightly different process to register your car with the DMV. The documents you'll need depend on the age of your kit or chassis.
You'll need to submit the following to your local AL DMV office:
- A completed Application for Inspection of a Salvage Vehicle and Affirmation Supporting Salvage Certificate (Form INV 26-15).
- Manufacturer's certificate of origin (certified), if you used a new kit.
- A registration receipt for the vehicle the chassis/frame came from OR a completed bill of sale (must include the previous vehicle's vehicle identification number), if your chassis or frame is from 1974 or earlier.
- The previous vehicle's certificate of title transferred to you, from which the chassis originated, if it is from 1975 or later.
- A bill of sale for each major component of your car that was purchased separately.
- Be sure to include the trade name and serial number for each part.
- An affidavit from whoever assembled the vehicle.
- Must list everything that was done to the car to have it assembled.
- Must certify that the car is in full working condition.
- Must be notarized.
- Payment for the following fees:
- Inspection: $75.
- Title certificate: $20.
NOTE: Your car will need to pass an inspection before it will be registered.
Motorcycles in Alabama
If you drive a motorcycle in Alabama, you must follow all of the basic road rules. You must also make sure your motorcycle is appropriately titled and registered with the AL MVD.
For more information, see our Motorcycle Registration in Alabama page.
Remember, it's against the law to ride your motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on the beaches and sand dunes on the Gulf of Mexico, along the southern boundary of Alabama. For more information, read the AL statute.
All trailers manufactured as model year 1994 or newer, collapsible camping trailers, utility trailers, and truck trailers, must be registered. The process is the same as for car registration.
You will need:
- Appropriate auto insurance coverage.
- Your AL driver's license.
- To have your trailer inspected.
- Title certificate, if applicable.
- If you don't have your title certificate, see our Replacing a Lost Title in Alabama page.
- To pay the registration fees. See "Fees to Register Special Vehicles in AL" below.
Once you've registered your trailer, you may be able to complete your renewals online.
Fees to Register Special Vehicles in AL
Depending on the type of vehicle you have, the Alabama MVD will charge you the following registration fees (based on yearly rates):
- Motorcycles: $15.
- Motorhomes: $23 to $500 (depending on gross weight of vehicle).
- If your motor home weighs over 42,000 lbs., your fees may be higher.
- Trailers: $12 to $60 (depending on the type of trailer).
- Custom-built cars:
- Title: $20.
- Inspection: $75.
Contact the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office to confirm accepted payment methods.
Vehicles Not Requiring an AL Title
You do not need to title your vehicle if it is:
- 35 years old or older.
- A travel trailer that is 20 years old or older.
- A manufactured home that was manufactured in 1999 or older.
- Owned by you, but you are not a resident of Alabama.
- A vehicle used for husbandry.
- An all-terrain vehicle.
- A boat.
- An off-road vehicle.
- A snowmobile.
- A utility trailer.
- Owned by the U.S. government.
For more information, contact the Alabama MVD.
Other Registration Links
- INV 26-15