Online Services in Alabama
Alabamians know all about Southern hospitality. That's why they warmly welcome the chance to take care of driver- and vehicle-related transactions online.
Alabama Online Vehicle Services
Remember when renewing your vehicle's registration meant spending hours finding the correct forms, waiting in line, paying for postage, and being frustrated? Now, you can complete this—and many other vehicle-related tasks—online, thanks to services provided mostly by the Alabama Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) and private companies.
Alabama MVD Vehicle Services
You can take advantage of the Alabama MVD's online vehicle services to order:
- Registration renewals.
- Vehicle title records.
- Vehicle registration records.
- Vanity license plates.
- Verification of compliance with mandatory liability car insurance.
- Registration and title status checks.
- Abandoned vehicle reports.
- Electronic car title applications.
- VIN checks.
- Accident reports.
- Fuel and trip permits.
You can also get the following vehicle services through the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency ( ALEA):
- Boat registration renewal.
- Vehicle crash report.
Private Vendor Vehicle Services
For any vehicle-related services the AL Motor Vehicle Division doesn't offer (or doesn't provide in a timely manner), consider using a private vendor. Some of your options include:
- Searching for auto insurance.
- Buying car insurance is a big decision, which is why a private company will ensure you're getting the best coverage at a competitive price.
- Choosing motorcycle insurance.
- Protect your bike and wallet by investing in a motorcycle insurance plan fitting your lifestyle and budget.
- Requesting Vehicle History Reports (VHR).
- Extending your vehicle's warranty.
- You'll sleep a little easier at night knowing your vehicle is still under warranty with a trusted third-party company.
AL License & Record Services
From requesting personal records to renewing your driver's license, you can complete a number of AL license and record-related tasks from the comfort of your own home. You may either choose to utilize the online services curated by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) or products provided by third-party vendors.
ALEA Online Services
You can go directly through the ALEA's online services to request the following:
- Renew your driver's license or state ID card.
- Request a duplicate driver's license or state ID card.
- Order driving records.
- Request employee background checks.
Third Party License & Record Services
Third party vendors can offer you access to many record and license-related services, often in a more time-sensitive and customer-friendly manner than the AL agencies. You can request:
- Driving records.
- A third party vendor will give you quick and easy access to personal and professional driving records.
- Background checks.
- Whenever you're hiring new employees, it's important to conduct background checks on the applicants, both for your safety and that of the company.
- Vital records.
- A private company can provide you with all types of vital records, like birth and death certificates, and marriage and divorce information.
- Court records.
- When you need to review past court cases in a pinch, consider using a private company to make the process as smooth as possible.
- International Driver Permit (IDP).
- If you've decided to drive abroad, equip yourself with an IDP in time for your travels.
- Expedited passport.
- When the travel bug has you taking a last-minute excursion out of the country, make sure to apply for or renew your passport through a company that can expedite the process.
- Name changes.
- With just one request, certain companies can help you change your name across multiple government agencies.
Alabama Online Driver's Ed Services
If you're preparing to get your driver's license or need to take points off your driving record, finding a quality Driver's Ed course is crucial. Alabama government agencies do not provide driver's education services directly, but you do have the option of going through a trusted and approved third-party company.
You can take advantage of the online driver's education products below, from the comfort of your own home:
- Adult driver's license prep course.
- Driver's license and permit:
- Defensive driving and traffic school courses.
- Teen driver's education course.
- Study guides and practice tests for:
- Boater education classes.
AL Traffic Ticket & Legal Resources
When you need to take care of traffic tickets and other legal proceedings, having online options can make the process a little less stressful. Alabama government agencies now allow you to:
- Enroll in the Department of Revenue's taxpayer identity protection program.
- Pay traffic tickets online through the Alabama Judicial System.
If you need additional and/or faster legal services, using a private company might be a better option. Consider going through a third party vendor for services like:
- Hiring a DUI attorney.
- Dealing with DUI charges is no joke, which is why finding a competent attorney in a timely manner is crucial.
- Finding a traffic ticket attorney.
- For your best chances of winning the court case, let a lawyer do the brunt of the legal work when it comes to fighting traffic tickets.
- Paying traffic tickets.
- No more dealing with checks and postage, thanks to the modern convenience of being able to pay traffic tickets online.
- Identity theft protection.
- Protecting your identity means protecting your future, which is why you should really consider investing in a trusted identity theft protection program.
Miscellaneous Alabama Online Services
If you didn't find what you were looking for above, don't fret! Here are a few more online services offered directly through ALEA:
- Schedule a driver's license appointment.
- Renew your boat registration.
AND through the MVD:
- Motor Carrier System (for commercial drivers).
- Salvage vehicle portal.
- Dealer regulatory license application and renewal.