New to Alabama

SUMMARY: New Alabama Residents

If you're new to Alabama, there are certain things you must take care of shortly after making the move. These things include applying for an AL driver's license, registering your vehicle with the Alabama Department of Revenue (DOR) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), and registering to vote. Military members may have certain other requirements and/or exemptions.

Alabama State Departments

In Alabama, licensing issues are handled by the Driver License Department of the Department of Public Safety. Vehicle administration, such as registration and titling, are handled by the Department of Revenue and its Motor Vehicle Division. Office locations for both agencies are located throughout the state. Traffic tickets are handled by the court system.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Alabama Vehicles

If you're taking your out-of-state car with you to Alabama, you must register it with the AL DOR within 30 days of your move. For more information, visit our Car Registration in Alabama page.

Special Vehicles

If you operate a unique vehicle such as a recreational vehicle (RV), motorhome, or scooter, the process of registration varies in Alabama. For detailed information on your specific type of vehicle, please visit our Alabama Special Vehicle Registration page.

Alabama Car Insurance

Alabama law requires all drivers in the state to carry auto insurance for their registered vehicles. In order to get the best value and the right policy, you should shop around and compare different rates. For more information and for help with doing this, please refer to our Alabama Insurance Center.

Required Car Inspections

Currently, the state of Alabama does not require cars to be inspected for smog or emissions prior to having it registered.

If you do drive an eco-friendly car, you may be eligible for an auto insurance discount, depending on your policy and provider. For more information, visit our Green Driver State Incentives in Alabama page.

Driver's License and ID Cards

Once you've become a resident, you will need to apply for an Alabama driver's license through the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver License Department if you wish to drive in the state.

Adult Driver's License

New residents to Alabama must transfer their out-of-state driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency. If you're 18 years old or older, you will be eligible for an unrestricted AL driver's license.

For more details on this lengthy process, please refer to our page on Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+).

Teen Driver's License

If you're under 18 years old and looking to obtain an Alabama learner's license or driver's license, you must transfer your out-of-state permit within 30 days of moving to the state. For more information, check out our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Alabama page.

AL Identification Card

If you don't drive in Alabama and you need to get an identification card, you'll find all the relevant information on our page about Identification Cards in Alabama.

Voter Registration in Alabama

There are a lot of things to do when you move. One thing often overlooked is registering to vote in your new state. To make sure you don't miss an important election, please visit our Voter Registration guide.

Military Members Stationed in AL

If you're an active military member from another state but currently serving in Alabama, visit our Alabama Drivers in the Military page. You will find information about using your out-of-state driver's license and car while you're in the state.

AL DMV Offices and Resources

To find the location of your nearest Alabama DOR or DPS branch, be sure to use our DMV Office Finder.

You may also find the following Alabama DMV manuals useful:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review