Motorcycle Registration in Alabama
Whether you've just moved to Alabama or recently purchased a new bike, we'll help you learn how to register your motorcycle with the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division.
Looking for renewal information? Check out our guide to registration renewal in Alabama.
New Alabama Residents
Welcome to the Heart of Dixie! You have 30 days to register your motorcycle at your county title and registration office.
BEFORE beginning the motorcycle registration process, you must:
- Apply for an AL certificate of title.
- Visit our Title Transfers page for details.
- Provide proof of Alabama motorcycle insurance.
Once you've met these prerequisites, visit your local county title and registration office and submit:
- Your motorcycle's title and current out-of-state registration for your motorcycle.
- A completed vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
- Payment for your appropriate fees and taxes (see below).
If your out-of-state motorcycle is being leased, Alabama laws won't require you to apply for a title before registering as long as:
- You were not issued a title by your former state of residence, and the physical title is in the lienholder's possession.
- You are listed as the owner or operator on the title.
- A copy of the title from the leasing company may be needed.
- There is a lien on record.
- You may need a copy of the lease agreement.
As long as you meet these qualifications, the rest of the steps for registering your leased motorcycle will be the same as those above, minus the need for an AL title.
Registering an Alabama Motorcycle
If you've recently purchased a new or used motorcycle, you'll have 20 days to register it with the Motor Vehicle Division. The steps you'll take will be based on whether you bought your new bike from a:
- Private seller.
PRIOR to applying for registration, you'll need to apply for a title in your name. This may or may not be able to be completed during the same transaction—contact your local MVD office for details, and check out our guide to Title Transfers for more on getting your new title.
Most Alabama dealerships handle the titling paperwork for you. For registration, the dealer may or may not be able to help.
If they don't, you'll have to register your motorcycle yourself. Check with your dealer to see which steps you may be required to take—the below is a general outline of what you'll likely need to do with your local county title and registration office:
- Provide a copy of the title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO).
- Make sure an odometer disclosure is recorded.
- Bring your Bill of Sale with itemized sales tax information included.
- Have a copy of your temporary registration issued by the dealer.
- Submit a dealer's affidavit IF the motorcycle was purchased outside of Alabama.
- Show proof of Alabama motorcycle insurance.
- Get a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
- Pay all applicable taxes and fees—see below for a breakdown.
If the motorcycle is leased, you'll also need to provide a power of attorney from the leasing company and a copy of the lease agreement.
If you purchased a motorcycle from a private seller, you must first apply for an Alabama title in your name. You MAY be able to handle your titling and registration at the same time—contact your local MVD office for specific details.
To title and register your new motorcycle, visit your local county title and registration office and submit:
- The completed title, signed by you and the seller.
- Make sure to record the odometer disclosure.
- Proof of Alabama motorcycle insurance.
- The motorcycle's current registration.
- Payment for all applicable taxes and fees (see below for more).
If you wish to transfer an existing license plate to your new motorcycle, bring the plate at the time of registration. If you do this, you must also submit the motorcycle's current plate to the MVD.
Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes
Fees for registering and titling your Alabama motorcycle are listed below:
- Title application—$15.
- A $1.50 commission fee may be added on.
- Motorcycle registration:
- 12 months: $15
- Vintage motorcycle registration—$10.
- Local county taxes and surcharges—Varies by county.
- Late registration penalty—$15.