Motorcycle License in Alabama

New to Alabama?

As a new Alabama resident, you may turn in your out-of-state motorcycle license for an Alabama motorcycle license. To do so, bring the following to your local Department of Public Safety(DPS) office:

  • Your out-of-state driver's license and/or motorcycle license (if your former state issued them separately).
  • Your Social Security card.
  • One primary form of identification.
  • Payment for the $5 transfer fee and $36.25 license fee (no checks allowed).

AL Motorcycle Age Requirements

  • 14 years old: eligible for a motor-driven cycle license.
  • 16 years old: eligible for a Class M motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Versus Motor-Driven Cycle

The Alabama DPS recognizes two classes of engine-equipped cycles―motor-driven cycles and motorcycles. You'll need to make sure you understand the difference, as some of the requirements for proper licensing and registration are bike-based.

A motor-driven cycle is defined as any motorcycle or motor scooter that has:

  • A motor that produces no more than 5 HP (hp).
  • An engine size of 150 CC (cc) or less.
  • A weight of less than 200 lbs. when fully equipped.

If you're looking to get licensed for and register your scooter, moped, or motor-driven cycle, you'll want to visit our page on Scooters and Mopeds in Alabama.

A motorcycle is defined as being:

  • A motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider.
  • Designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, excluding a tractor.

Earning Your Alabama Motorcycle or Motor-Driven Cycle License

To qualify for an AL motor-driven cycle license, you must be at least 14 years old. The minimum age for a motorcycle license is 16 years old.

You must have a motorcycle (M) endorsement on your license to legally operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. To get a motorcycle (M) endorsement, you must either pass the DPS' motorcycle knowledge exam or complete a motorcycle safety course.

If you opt for taking the knowledge test, you'll need to do the following:

  • Study the material found in the Alabama Motorcycle Operator Manual. You can pick one up at any DPS station, State Trooper Office, or Probate Judge or License Commissioner Office.
  • Take at least one practice test to assess if you're ready to pass Alabama's motorcycle knowledge exam.
  • Make a test appointment with your local AL DPS office.

If you're interested in taking an motorcycle safety course instead, call (800) 446-9227 or visit Motorcycle Safety Foundation for more information.

    When you're ready to apply for your M endorsement, bring the following documents to your local DPS office:

    • Birth certificate.
    • Social Security card.
    • A third form of acceptable secondary identification.
    • Applicants 15 years old must provide acceptable proof of school enrollment or graduation by providing any one of the following:
      ―A certified letter from your school stating that you are enrolled.
      ―A GED or diploma.
      ―An Enrollment/Exclusion (Form DL1/93).

    At the DPS office, be prepared to:

    • Take the written knowledge exam or present proof that you've completed a motorcycle safety course.
    • Pay the $5 testing fee (if applicable) and $36.25 licensing fee (checks are not accepted).

    Alabama Motorcycle License Riding Restrictions

    Riders 14 and 15 Years Old

    Riders who are 14 and 15 years old will receive a Class M license with a "B" restriction. This restriction indicates that you may only operate a motor-driven cycle. When you turn 16 years old, you will become eligible to take the exams for an unrestricted Class M motorcycle license. The AL Class M license is valid for 4 years.

    Riders 16 Years and Older

    If you're the age of 16 years old or older and have met the requirements and passed the tests, you'll be issued an unrestricted Class M driver's license. This license allows you to legally operate either a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle.

    For questions about your license, contact your local DPS Office by calling (334) 517-2800 or by sending questions to:

    • Alabama Department of Public Safety
    • Driver License Department
    • P.O. Box 1471
    • Montgomery, AL 36102


Submit to the Driver License Division as proof of enrollment OR lawful exclusion from enrollment in school when applying for your Alabama driver's license or learner's permit.