Drivers in the Military in Alabama

Driver's License

Alabama residents in the military, or their dependents, may be eligible for driver's license renewal by mail if you have obtained a driver's license, that includes your signature and photo, in the last 4 years. If you have then download and complete the Application for a Renewal or Duplicate License for Alabama Drivers Temporarily Out of State.

When mailing the application, you must submit a copy of your military photo ID and your military orders. The $36.25 license fee is payable by money order only. No personal checks are accepted.

Include your full name, birth date, Social Security number, and out-of-state mailing address. As long as your picture and signature are on file, a new license will be mailed to your out-of-state address. The license will list your Alabama address.

Send applications, supporting documents, and license fee to:

  • Driver License Department
  • P.O. Box 1471
  • Montgomery, AL 36102

Vehicle Titles and Registration

Military personnel are exempt from having their vehicles physically inspected when applying for an Alabama title. A Mail Order Application for Certificate of Title (Form MVT 5-9) can be downloaded and printed online. Once complete, mail it to your county's tag office with the appropriate fees and taxes.

The cost to register a private passenger vehicle is $23, plus a minor issuance fee. You'll need to call the office to determine what taxes are due. When the registration and titling process is complete, your new tag will be mailed to you.


MVT 5-9
Mail Order Application for Certificate of Title
Use this MVD form to submit supporting documents when applying for an Alabama vehicle title by mail.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review