Change of Address in Alabama

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Address in Alabama

When you've changed your address in Alabama, you must notify the DPS by mail. To update your driver's license/ID card, you'll need to visit your local DPS office with proof of your identity and payment for the corrected card. To change your address on your car registration and title certificate, contact the AL MVD.

You can learn more about how to change your address with the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver License Division.

AL Driver's License/ID Card Address Change

Once you've moved to a new address in Alabama, you'll need to notify the DPS Driver License Division within 30 days.

You'll need to send your full name, AL driver's license/ID card number, and new address to:

Driver License Division
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36104

This will change your address on DPS records only. If you would like an updated driver's license or ID card showing your new address, you will need to apply for a duplicate card in person at an Alabama DPS office.

NOTE: You are not required to obtain an updated driver's license or ID card.

You will need proof of your identity and payment for the duplicate card fee. For more information, visit our following pages:

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Car Registration/Title Address Change

In addition to changing your name on your AL driver's license, you'll need to update your car registration address.

Contact your new local AL MVD office that issues license plates, to inform them of your new address.

If you'd like an updated certificate of title showing your new address, you will need to apply for a duplicate certificate of title. Contact the AL MVD to find out exactly what documents you will need.

New Alabama Residents

If you've recently moved to Alabama from another state, you'll need to get yourself an AL driver's license and have your car registered in the state.

Transfer Your Out-of-State Driver's License

You must transfer your out-of-state driver's license to the AL DPS within 30 days of becoming a resident. You'll need to visit your local DPS office and surrender your current driver's license, pass an eye test, and pay the required fees.

Complete instructions can be found on our Applying for a New License page.

Register Your Car in Alabama

If you have brought your out-of-state car with you, you must have it registered in Alabama within 30 days of your move. You will need to appear at an AL MVD office in person with your current title certificate, registration, and payment for registration fees.

Visit our Car Registration page for more information.

Change Your Voter Registration Address

When you move to another county in Alabama, you'll need to re-register to vote in your new county. Your voter records will not automatically update to reflect your new home address.

Visit our Voter Registration page for instructions.

Change Your Name in Alabama

If you've changed your name, you'll need to update your AL driver's license/ID card, car registration, and title certificate. The process may differ depending on your county.

For more information, visit our Changing Your Name in Alabama page.


Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Change of Address in Another State?