Bill of Sale Requirements in Alabama
Custom Alabama Bill of Sale for $4.99
Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!
- State specific for your transaction
- Quick auto-fill feature
- Just fill out, print, and sign
AL Bill of Sale
In Alabama a bill of sale is only required if there isn't a title available for the vehicle being sold. Otherwise, the reassignment of the title can be completed on the title itself.
Completing an AL Bill of Sale
In general, bills of sale are good documents to have because they serve as a receipt for the vehicle sale, list the contact information for both parties, and can legally protect the seller if the buyer fails to register the vehicle or abandons it at a later date. Bill of sale requirements vary from county to county, so check with your county's DOR office for specifics. The following information should generally appear on an Alabama bill of sale:
- Names and complete addresses of BOTH seller and purchaser.
- Must be street address; a P.O. box is not acceptable.
- If seller is a dealer, then it must list the licensed name.
- Date of sale.
- Complete vehicle description, including:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Series number.
- Body type.
- Vehicle odometer reading at time of sale.
- Notarized signature of seller or authorized representative.
You'll usually be provided an appropriate bill of sale if you buy from a dealer. Be sure you get a bill of sale when you buy a car; you may need it before you can title and register the vehicle in your own name.
Generic Bill of Sale
To assist you in finding a form that works for you, we provide easily printable bill of sale forms.